First Trip To Vermont! (itenerary help)

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Snookman2

First Trip To Vermont! (itenerary help)

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:29 am

I've planned a foliage trip to Vermont for 4 straight years now. And each year I've had to cancel for one reason or another. So you can blame me for Irene, it's the universe's way of trying to prevent my trip from happening again. ;) Well Irene be damned, I'm still coming!

I've browsed the forum for the last couple years and seen what a wonderful resource it is for people planning trips. This is my first and probably last trip to Vermont for some time due to having a baby and a second one on the way. So I think I'd really like to hit up the "must see" drives etc that you guys would recommend if you only had one trip.

Here are some of the things that my wife and I are interested in:

1. Scenic drives of course
2. Easy hikes to scenic overlooks etc (we love the outdoors but my wife is pregnant so grueling hikes are out)
3. Good local spots to stop for lunch (we're foodies)
4. Vermonty and Autumny types of things to do (do a cheese tasting, drink apple cider, go to a town fall festival, etc)

Our base is Woodstock mostly due to the great restaurants in that part of the state and it seems like there's pretty easy access to the interstate to get up to the NEK etc. Ok so here's my itenerary:

9/30 Arrive in Boston at 10 AM. Rent a car and head for Vermont. Really I have an afternoon here to do something. Should I head straight to the NEK and go to the Barnet festival? Or perhaps I should hit a different area of Vemont that is more convenient? Keep in mind that I have to be back in Woodstock that evening to check in to my B&B.

10/1 Spend the day in NEK. Do one of the NEK drives in the tacked drive thread. Stop at the Groton Festival.

10/2 ??? Route 100?

10/3 This night we are having a special dinner in Kennebunke, Maine. So I need to make my way over there by the late afternoon. I figured this would be my opportunity to hit the white mountains. Maybe do the kancamagus?

10/4 fly home :(

Thanks in advance for any help!

Andy

Re: First Trip To Vermont! (itenerary help)

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:35 am

Sounds like a good itinerary to me, as written. I will say that Route 100 in one day is ambitious. I assume you would take 4 West from Woodstock and do the Northern part of 100? One thought might be to take the Mt. Mansfield toll road up to the top of Mt. Mansfield on the Route 100 day. Gets you a view of the entire state if the day is clear, and its not a strenuous hike at the top.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Utah Baker

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:53 pm

I am so excited for you, Woodstock in and of itself is a beautiful town just to stroll the streets and shops. Cross the covered bridge and takes a stroll thru the neighborhoods, it's quiet and the homes and beautifuly maintained. The Billings Farm and Museum just east of Woodstock is fun too. And a beautiful drive out to the Jenne Farm on 106. A few must stops for us are to browse the Vermont Country Store either in Weston (That would be going south on 100) or in Rockingham. Also going north on 100 a must is the Cold Hollow Cider Mill in Waterbury, just south of Stowe. Oh, Enjoy, enjoy! :)

2doggiemom

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Sugarbush Farm just out of Woodstock. Great cheese tasting as well as maple syrup tasting. Check out their website http://www.sugarbushfarm.com. Also, if you have the time, the Ben & Jerry's Factory has a great tour (short) to learn how ice cream is made with a sample at the end. They also have beautiful mountain views. Near by is Cabot Cheese Tasting as well as Cold Hollow apple cider tasting be sure to get an apple cider donut also. Quechee Gorge is very interesting as well as VINS (Vermont Institute of Natural Science) in Quechee. They have every kind of native bird. Wonderful live raptor show where you will really learn about the birds. Plan on a couple of hours there. Enjoy your visit. I'm coming a little late on Oct. 10, it will be my third year in a row visiting for CA.

pwt54

Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:05 pm

The NEK is very good right now but will be great next weekend. Route US 4 nad route 100 from there to Stowe may not be quite peak then but it will be worth the drive. Be aware that there will be construction delays on both roads. Route 100 north of Stowe will be peaking, but route 15 from Johnson east to West Danville still looks early. Colors are fantastic.

Andy

Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:22 am

If you DO stop at Cold Hollow Cider Mill, the "Sunday Brook Farm" labeled Maple Syrup is the best in the world! (I may have a slight prejudice, here, as it is made and canned by my family!!)
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Snookman2

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. Great advice on some places to go and things to do!

I think I'm pretty set on Saturday being a NEK day. I plan on doing the "NEK central drive" outlined in the drives thread. And I'll stop at the Groton Festival.

I need help though with Sunday (10/2) and Monday (10/3). If I dedicate Sunday to route 100, where specifically should I go? Someone mentioned that I need more than one day. Well if you only had one day to do it, which part would be best? Maybe someone could outline a route for me?

Then on Monday I need to make my way from Woodstock over to Maine. I know this is the Vermont forum, but do you guys have some recommendations for what routes to do in the White Mountains? Or any other routes to do between Woodstock and Kennebunkport? Will the kancamagus or other white mountain routes be too late on 10/3?

Thanks guys!

RIMHfire

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:18 pm

I can help you out with your Monday schedule. The "Kanc" is a great scenic route, but you're going a lot out of your way to get to Kennebunk from Woodstock that way. I'm assuming you have all day since I think you mentioned getting to Maine for dinner, but it's worth it. That part of NH is definitely turning, so it should be very pretty. And as for easy hiking on the Kanc, I suggest Sabbaday Falls and the Lovequist Loop Trail at Falls Pond and Rocky Gorge scenic area.

I also would highly suggest going to Queechee Gorge since you're going to be nearby. I've been there a thousand times and I never get sick of it.

pwt54

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:37 pm

The colors on the "Kanc" are peaking right now.
Route 100 from route US 4 north to Route 58 in Lowell will be very good that day. I would drive route 100 north to the flashing red light in Morrisville village. Here I would go straight a few hundred feet and turn right onto route 12 south. Drive that to State Street in Montpelier and turn left. Drive to Main Street and turn right. Drive to the route US 2 traffic Light. If it's late ( Ben & Jerry's and the Cider Mill will do that to you), turn right for I-89 south to Woodstock. If you have time, go straight on route 12 south to the junction of route 107 in Bethel and go straight for I-89. Route 12 south of route 107 has a couple of washouts with detours I'm not sure about. Route 107 west is out of the question.

Snookman2

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:27 am

Thank RIMHfire and PWT54. Based on the replies so far here's my revised itenerary:

9/30 Arrive boston, drive right up I-93 and do the Kanc (it seems 10/3 might be late for the kanc)
10/1 NEK: morning do the NEK Central loop (from the great drives thread), afternoon do a Peacham/Danville/Cabot/Groton loop?
10/2 100: Head north on 100 from route 4. Try to mix in some "must see" drives like Common Road and 108 out of Stowe if I have time.
10/3 Woodstock day: Cloudland Road, Quechee Gorge, Sugarbush Farm, etc

courtmel

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:30 am

PWT-You mentioned that the colors are peaking on the "Kanc"! Already!!! We will be arriving in Littleton, NH on October 5th. I know this is the SOV Forum and I am a Vermont girl but I am booked into NH (gasp) this year. How do you think that area will hold out for Oct 5th - Oct 8th and where would YOU venture?

suebot in CT :D
autumn leaf

PhotoOp

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:31 pm

I am also going to be in VT this weekend. Staying in Lyndonville Fri & Sat night, Sun TBD. I will have 3 full days to photograph, Sat, Sun & Mon (Tues if necessary due to bad weather on Sat)

Will it be too early to go south of I-89? Should I stay North?

So far I have these routes planned:

1 Phil's NEK Central loop
2 Route 100 from Jay to Stowe
3 TBD

Do you think I will be hitting peak color in these areas on Sat & Sun? Any feedback or ideas are always appreciated!

btw, Very nice photos Carol!

Jack

Snookman2

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:03 pm

For other first timers who might read this thread, here is a great thread that I bookmarked from last year with lots of suggestions for "must see" routes:

viewtopic.php?t=2358&highlight=kancamagus

Abby: Bragg Hill Road....added to the list, thank you!
Andy: If I buy some maple syrup, you can be sure that it will be Sunday Brook Farm!

RIMHfire

Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:17 pm

courtmel wrote:PWT-You mentioned that the colors are peaking on the "Kanc"! Already!!! We will be arriving in Littleton, NH on October 5th. I know this is the SOV Forum and I am a Vermont girl but I am booked into NH (gasp) this year. How do you think that area will hold out for Oct 5th - Oct 8th and where would YOU venture?

suebot in CT :D
I think Carroll County will hold out with some decent color during that time. As for where to go, I have a plethora of places nearby. Since you're staying in Littleton, I would hope you'd stop by Chutter's and pick up some candy and fudge (and to say you've been to the world's longest candy counter!). If you're looking for some nice views, head over to Bretton Woods and stop at the majestic Mount Washington Hotel. I know for a fact that it's got some color already, so it should be gorgeous the time you're there. The drive over from Littleton to Bretton Woods should be nice too with plenty of places to stop and look around. I would also stop by The Rock Estate in Bethlehem. Very close by with nice views and some sweet things in their store!

Those are my usual stomping grounds, if you want any more ideas, just message me!

From_the_NEK

Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Snookman2 wrote:Thank RIMHfire and PWT54. Based on the replies so far here's my revised itenerary:

9/30 Arrive boston, drive right up I-93 and do the Kanc (it seems 10/3 might be late for the kanc)
10/1 NEK: morning do the NEK Central loop (from the great drives thread), afternoon do a Peacham/Danville/Cabot/Groton loop?
10/2 100: Head north on 100 from route 4. Try to mix in some "must see" drives like Common Road and 108 out of Stowe if I have time.
10/3 Woodstock day: Cloudland Road, Quechee Gorge, Sugarbush Farm, etc
You should be hitting peak perfectly this coming weekend in the NEK.
A quick recommendation on the NEK Central loop (I just finished doing some editing to it). If Saturday morning is very foggy in the valleys, consider taking an hour and going up the nearby Burke Mtn toll road. It should get you above the fog for some nice early morning scenery (see undercast valley fog).