Oct 12 -13 First Trip to Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

cl812

Oct 12 -13 First Trip to Vermont

Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:54 pm

Hi! I found this forum extremely useful for updated information. I am going to Wilmington on Oct 12 and arrive there at around 2:00. According to forester, it will be rainning so we might just drive a short scenic trip around that area. Any suggestion?

The weather on Oct 13 will be good, we would like to head north to catch the peak foliage and have several stops along the route to have pumpkin picking(we might just take some pictures),have a walk into the forest w/ rivers/pond and visit some beautiful villages(with covered bridge and avoid the crowd) then head back New York. Please give me some advices for the route and places, many thanks.

pwt54

Re: Oct 12 -13 First Trip to Vermont

Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:41 am

WOW, sounds like you want to do a long weekend's worth in one day. And finding an uncrowded spot in Vt. in foliage season is like trying to get maple syrup from an oak tree. If you are adventurous, and don't mind dirt roads, take route 100 north towards West Wardsboro. Look for the Stratton/Arlington Road on your left just south of the village. The road starts out paved but changes to dirt. You could stop and do a short hike on the Long Trail or take the Grout Pond Road down to the trails around the pond. The road ends in East Arlington on Maple Street. Turn right on Maple St. and go to the Chiselville Covered Bridge. After the bridge, turn around and do Maple St. back through East Arlington and into Arlington. If you would rather stay on paved roads, then take route 100 north to route 30 west in East Jamaica. Turn left and take route 3o west through Manchester and Dorset to route 315 in East Rupert.( In Manchester you have to turn right, go 100 feet and turn left. It will be crowded but not for long.) Take route 315 into Rupert where you will see route 153 on your right. Go pass route 153 for a 1/2 a mile. Look for a small deserted General Store on your left. It's cute as a button. Might make a good photo. Turn around and take route 153 up through Pawlet and West Pawlet to route 30. Turn left on route 30 north and go to route 149. Take route 149 west into Granville, NY. and keep going through Fort Ann and right to I-87 . None of these routes give you everything you asked for. You need to bee farther north and have a couple of extra days.