Report from Chester

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

bvahjen

Report from Chester

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:05 pm

I was at my little cabin in Chester VT, first visit after Irene. Everything is good there, but lots of roads are under repair. Everyone is working around the clock, so the roads are coming back fast. May still be some one lane highways here and there, but nothing that can't be managed. Leaves looked good, lots of water so no early drought stress that I could see. Normal season for leaves so far. Real fortunate that the wind stayed south, the maples are wrecked back at my house in CT.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Report from Chester

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks bv for this report. bm and I are still contemplating the Chester Craft Fair on the Green which you told me will still be going on the first weekend in October. Phil said I should take 89 to 91 and get off in Springfield and take 11 to Chester due to 100 more than likely will be very slow going. He thought perhaps the interstate would be faster. Maybe things will improve in two weeks. Looking forward to seeing you there if we do make it! Glad your cabin made out fine! Your area in CT got hit worse than mine further north as I followed the damage very closely down there. Sorry to hear about your maples! :cry:

Can you tell me if Popple Dungeon Road is washed out???? I wanted to do that road this fall.... How about East Hill Road off the Andover Hill Road? Are they compromised due to the flooding?

Thanks again! See you soon!

bvahjen

Re: Report from Chester

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:18 am

Popple Dungeon was washed out twice, so it will be slow to come back. I have not been up to East hill, but it is probably like Potash Brook, which has temporary piping and one lane travel in spots. Will get up there before the big weekend and have a look.