Post Updates of Road Closures and Alternate Routes

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Aspen

Post Updates of Road Closures and Alternate Routes

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:39 am

With another Fall foliage season right around the bend, the Scenes of Vermont Fall Foliage Forum will be visited by many for the first time; as well as others who make repeat visits. My heart aches with all the reports of the destruction that followed Hurricane Irene's passing up the East coast; especially in Vermont. Many people are making immediate or future plans to visit Vermont. It would be very helpful for those who live in Vermont and visitors to receive updates on this Forum of road closures. Would like to invite locals and those who may be driving around in Vermont to post updates of road closures and alternate routes for people to take. Please include name(s) of road(s) and in which area(s) of Vermont these roads are located.
Wishing Vermont a speedy recovery!
Aspen
Last edited by Aspen on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ixl

Re: Post Updates of Road Closures and Alternate Routes

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:53 am

Good idea.

I'll start off with Kelly Stand Road in southern Vermont. I was there today and spoke with someone, and the upshot is that there is a good chance it will not be reopened all the way through before next spring. The river itself seems to be twice as wide as it used to be.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

From_the_NEK

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:07 am

Most of Northern VT escaped the major devistation that you are seeing on the national news outlets. Almost every road is open there are no problems with accessing this part of Vermont. I-91 and all of the roads in this part of the state are intact save for a few isolated rural roads.
That said, I feel there is no reason to cancel/rethink any plans to come to any part of VT for the foliage. By peak foliage the hard hit areas in southern VT should be passible with only minor detouring. Having tourists come look at the leaves will also be extremely helpful to the local economies that are going to need the income to complete their rebuild.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Carol: this is a great link! Thanks. It will serve us well.

BTW: You've become a state hugger now? Well, what better state to hug than Vermont! I guess if I can talk to the moon, you can go ahead and hug your heart out. See, my "lunacy" is quite contagious, but I already knew you were receptive to start with. :twisted:

Anyways, because this is a vital thread to all and thanks Aspen, I'm going to turn it into a sticky so it doesn't disappear into the black hole of the SOV Foliage Forum. I will leave it up for a bit so everyone will know where it has gone, to the top of the Foliage Forum where it can stay secure and benefit all.

deaner1971

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:37 am

Charles,

Have you heard anything about 313 or River Road from Arlington to the NY border? I fish that area and visit the Green and its covered bridge each year. That area seemed really vulnerable and many of the houses were not that much elevated above the road.

Thanks much and hope all in Southern Vermont are recovering as well as is possible.

Dean

ixl

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:20 am

Dean, I haven't heard anything about that area, sorry. I'll check it out at some point if possible.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

wentworth

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:36 am

agree--great link--looks like Rt 232 is ok, on the way to Owl's Head Lake--Rt 100 looks busted up, as does one of our fav roads, Rt 125-quite concerned about Killington, as that's where we'll be arriving on Sept 26th--any info abou Rt 4 and Killington would be most appreciated

wentworth

Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:56 am

thanks mmvt, those links are great

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:37 am

September 3, 2011: Burlington Free Press : Update on Road Improvements, Goals, Expectations and Explanations on some local (Moretown 100B) as well as general recovery efforts on roads throughout Vermont. Great article....

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/arti ... |FRONTPAGE

pwt54

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:25 am

Route US 4 in Killington is a high priority road. Both the State and Federal inspectors are looking it over and should have the plans ready early next week. The State road crews have been working long hours and plan to skip the Labor Day vacation. According the the State engineers, they plan to have all State Highway open and passable for foliage season. The big problems are the bridges. They are more complicated to fix than the roads. The State is asking for temporary bridges from neighboring States. What you may see in some spots are one lane roads and bridges with temporary traffic lights.

pwt54

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:54 am

The State Transportation Agency has a map showing the State roads that are closed. Go here to check it out, and check every so often for updates.
http://511.vermont.gov/main.jsf

Andy

100 FROM WAITSFIELD TO WARREN

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:25 am

NOTE: The Vermont DOT road closure map shows 100 closed between Waitsfield and Warren (about 12 miles south of Waterbury). On my DeLorme Map, I think that means you can get to Waitsfield from the North (Waterbury Exit on I-89), and probably to the Waitsfield Common Road, but it may mean that access to Bragg Hill Road is limited or blocked? There are many great views (and photo-ops - I cover them in my PDF) on the Common Road and on Bragg Hill, but if you are going to try some of them, it may be worth checking. If you are planning on trying to see my "Mad River" scenes, and/or Moss Glenn Falls, it may be difficult to get to those areas. There are closures additionally at Warren and Granville.

100 North to South is considered by many to be THE scenic highway in VT, so I have to believe they are putting some priority on opening it for color season. Time will tell. Keep checking the Link from the "Blocked Roads" thread.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:35 am

Good idea, CT, to make this a sticky. Wonder if there is a way for Admin to post a Link somewhere prominently on the site?
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:40 am

Andy: I'll call him tonight and see what he can do.

Aspen

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Another source to check for road updates in Vermont is a website which was posted in the Sunday, September 4, 2011, Washington Post.
Go to this website and scroll down to view listing of road updates:
http://www.governor.vermont.gov/newsroo ... d-openings

Aspen
Last edited by Aspen on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.