Post Updates of Road Closures and Alternate Routes

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Andy

Re: Post Updates of Road Closures and Alternate Routes

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:20 am

Looking at the "before and after" without taking away the great empathy we feel for Vermonters who have been hit by this, I have to say, HUGE KUDOS to the VT Dept of Transportation, and all the other workers, local, Nat. Guard, etc. They have done an incredible task in a very short time!

Thanks to all of you!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

wentworth

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:32 pm

From the Killington area: They had a ribbon-cutting ceremony today in front of the Sugar-n-Spice eatery(a place we always go for pancakes) to celebrate the opening of Rt. 4 from Mendon to Killington, also another ceremony at River Road--one lane newly paved both ways--good job!

pwt54

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:13 am

While wandering around the cattle barns at the Tunbridge Fair, I talked to a woman from Reading, VT. She says that folks can get to the Jenne Farm from Woodstock okay. But that is the only way right now. Route 106 soth of there is still closed.

Aspen

Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:34 am

With daily updates, current news and ideal weather conditions to welcome the Fall foliage season, it's delightful Vermont has made outstanding progress on its road to recovery. Let's continue to provide support on this Fall Foliage Forum with guiding people to the beautiful places and businesses in Vermont.
For locals and those who have freqented Vermont, we know getting to certain places will be possible; however, there may be a need to take an alternate route to some of them. For example, the Luce family at the Sugarbush Farm in North Pomfret made an announcement that their wonderful maple syrup and cheese farm is open. For some of us who have ventured to this farm in the past via the Taftsville Covered Bridge need to know if the Taftsville Covered bridge is open and if not, advise alternate route to take to get to the Sugarbush Farm. To assist folks, Sugarbush Farm is at 591 Sugarbush Farm Road, North Pomfret, Vermont 05053 Phone # 802-457-1757, 800-281-1757 Should people know of other places that are accessible but access will be from a different area of Vermont or route, please share this valuable information.

Come on Vermont, roll out your (autumn) RED carpet!

Aspen

2doggiemom

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:09 pm

According to Sugarbush Farm website, the Taftsville Bridge is not open, however, they give alternate routes. Even though Sugarbush Farm is away from town, they sure seem to have alot of visitors. I can't wait to go for their wonderful cheese tasting.

bits

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:41 am

I live in Reading and want anyone heading our way to know that the detour around #106's closure is a small pretty oldroad with a covered bridge called Upper Falls Rd. Drive it respectfully, there's wildlife, and houses near the roadside with kids and pets. Comes off of #131 at Downers and at the north end of the village of Perkinsville.

Andy

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks, bits. The reminder is a good one for all of us driving these roads. Vermont is a wonderful, beautiful place with wonderful people. But we need to remember to respect that this is also their home and drive carefully, slowly and respectfully and be respectful of others' property and privacy.

Wish I was going to be there to try to practice what I preach :-)
Andy

pwt54

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:58 am

Thanks for the information. Upper Falls Road is a nice drive.

Aspen

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Thanks 2doggiemom for sharing the Sugarbush Farm's website announced Taftsville Covered Bridge is closed.
Alternate routes to Sugarbush Farm which is Scenic Route #1 from I-89 and Scenic Route #2 from Woodstock Village
may be found at http://www.sugarbushfarm.com/contactus.aspx

Aspen

ixl

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:11 am

Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:58 pm

A couple of notes; there will still be bridge work on route 100a near route US 4. This is a contract job and not part of Irene. Just short delays here.
Even though the route 12 bridge in Bethel will be open soon, the bridge above it in Barnard will not be open for foliage season, so you will not be able to drive route 12 from route 107 to Barnard. The North Road from Bethel to Barnard is the best way to bypass route 12. It's a nice ride. Check my " A short report from 2 short guys" report for directions.

califuser

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi Folks,

I am travelling from California to the EastCoast and have heard a lot about Vermont/New Hampshire.... I am very excited to be in those places at this time of the year. I have gone throught a few routes suggested on this forum and have though of taking the Route 100 from Wilmington ( via west bratllebro using I-9 from 91 coming from south ) to newport traversing the entire length...

I have got conflicting reports about closures from vermont hotline/vermont DOT webpages...If anyone has an idea of road closures on Route 100, it would be really helpful to me.... ( http://www.511vt.com shows closure in couple of places and accessibility to only emergency places )

Andy

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:44 am

Calif: Pwt has posted a couple separate threads on specifically 100. Go back to the main foliage page and scroll down a short way and you should see them. He has driven it from the NEK at least to Route 4, and has a pretty detailed report. I would link it here but am on my iPad this a.m. and am iPad challenged.
Andy

pwt54

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:11 am

califuser; the only spot that is closed to traffic on route 100 is in Jamaica. That spot will be open by Oct. 15th. There are back roads that bypass that spot, but they got hit as well and I don't know which are open. Check with the local folks. The rest of route 100 is good to go. The list on the AOT website list route 100 between West Bridgewater and Killington as only open to emergency vehicles. Bull droppings ! That section is basicly route US 4 and that is wide open and busy.

califuser

Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:01 am

Andy/Pwt54,

Thanks for the updates...I am going through all these posts now and will try some of the other routes as well..I am planning to visit norther vermont around Oct 3-7, keeping one eye on the weather..... you guys rock, thanks for all the helpful posts on this forum...it really helps !!!