Full Harvest Moon 2011!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Full Harvest Moon 2011!

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:03 pm

Ok, those who know me, know I am obsessed with the full moon. ESPECIALLY the full harvest moon. Last year was so exciting because it fell on the Autumn Equinox! And it was great! Wouldn't it be perfect if we could all see the Harvest Moon this year and look up at the sky with a silent little prayer of our own for Vermont? I know I will have a special conversation with the full moon that night! :P

Here is what will happen this year:

In the U.S., in 2011, the best nights for seeing the 2011 Harvest Moon are September 11, 12 and 13. But if you live far enough north – like the northern states, Canada or Alaska – the Harvest Moon will continue to shine from dusk till dawn beyond September 13. The crest of the full Harvest Moon will come on September 12 at 4:27 a.m. CDT (9:27 Universal Time).

Who named the Harvest Moon? That name probably sprang to the lips of farmers throughout the northern hemisphere, on autumn evenings, as the Harvest Moon aided in bringing in the crops. The name was popularized in the early 20th century by the song below.

OK! Before you read the words to this song, let me remind you, WE ALL NEED A LITTLE LAUGH RIGHT NOW, RIGHT???? Just a little, ok? :roll: Sorry, I couldn't resist putting this on the forum. And those who know me, know I am a little crazy! :wink:

This song is a riot! :shock:

Shine On Harvest Moon
By Nora Bayes and Jack Norworth (1903)

Shine on, shine on harvest moon
Up in the sky,
I ain’t had no lovin’
Since January, February, June or July
Snow time ain’t no time to stay
Outdoors and spoon,
So shine on, shine on harvest moon,
For me and my gal.

Good night all!

WXMAN76

Re: Full Harvest Moon 2011!

Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:06 pm

You have a conversation with the full moon? Does it answer you? What language does it speak? This is all important data that NASA would be interested in! LOL :) My forecast for the Harvest moon. Dark at night. Beat that Weather channel!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi Tony: Yes, I do have a conversation with the full moon. As a matter of fact, every full moon. Of course, the moon answers back! Why do you think it is smiling all the time! The language? Well that is my secret, but if NASA is interested, I am certainly open to interviews. Yeah, the three of us, Mother Nature, La Lune and I. Oh what a tale I could tell. :wink:

And for you my dear Carol, it takes one to know one.

So, when the full moon appears September 12th this year, look up, then close your eyes. Picture Vermont in your mind, and you will know then, what I am saying to the moon.

Howl Howl Howl 8)
CT

P.S. Hope that is enough humor for this evening.....

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:31 am

Don't forget to go outside tonight and tomorrow night for the best viewing of the Full Harvest Moon at 100%. This is one of my favorite harbingers of the fall season. I will be saying alittle prayer for a speedy recovery for the state of Vermont and its people as I look up at this beautiful sight from Mother Nature. I am also sending along a prayer for the Great State of Texas for relief of their drought and for their farmers and ranchers to receive much needed help for their livestock, farms and their future well being. If I had a magic wand, I would create an aquaduct to send the rains from the Northeast to their drought-stricken state. It is a very sad state of affairs there. I lived in Texas and they are some of the most friendly folks I've ever met. Many Texans converge on Vermont in the fall and I am always happy to chat with them. (Especially about the rodeos and rattlesnake festival/barbeques I frequented while living there!) :wink:

Last night the full moon was peaking out from amongst the clouds and it was simply gorgeous! Lots of folks out enjoying it and the velvety air of the evening as well! Sweet! 8)

2doggiemom

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:45 pm

I am going to be staying in Twin Mountain NH on Oct 11 & 12. Any ideas of a place for some great pics of the full moon? Also, am I going to be to late for any colors there? Thanks

pwt54

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:17 am

I didn't have to go out to see the Harvest Moon. It shone through the bedroom window and woke me up.

Utah Baker

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Took a walk last night at 10 p.m. with my son & daughter and thought of you all, sleeping snug and sound as we strolled under the bright Harvest Moon. It was a beautiful cool evening here. Those cool temps have finally arrived, 78 the high for the week with night time temps in the mid to low 50's. It even snowned yesterday at Brian Head, a ski resort down by Cedar City! Definite;y not ready for that yet! Autumn is on her way, even the maples here are starting to show red tips on their leaves. I had to laugh at my husband last night, he has complained for years that we need to go somewhere different, and so this year we are, but as we where trying to plan our trip, all he could do was plan schemes to get us up north, Vermont gets deep in you soul! :lol:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi Janice: Just came in from my Full Harvest Moon viewing and Yowzah! It is huge! Has a soft glow to it and it is perfectly clear out there. The air is like silk with soft breezes. The peepers are calling. Despite the fact that it is a perfect summer's eve, I can feel the change coming. Actually, I was thinking that this is the last Harvest Moon until next year and for a moment, was just a little sad . The seasons change so quicky, and the years just keep rollin' by. Sigh.

So.....my thought for today is.

Sieze the moment. Breathe in the beauty around us and be thankful for all that we are blessed with.