2010 Foliage (a bit late, eh?!) - LOTS of images - Day 1

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

BostonRott

2010 Foliage (a bit late, eh?!) - LOTS of images - Day 1

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:14 pm

Finally getting my 2010 shots up on the web. Less than 3mos til the 2011 season.....perhaps an appetizer? :oops:
Landscape photography is an area where I definitely don't feel comfortable. I apologize in advance for the non-creative composition, etc. I'm best at people/animal candid shots and capturing raw emotion. I love to LOOK at landscape stuff, but put me out there, and I feel like "duh?!"

Hoping for 2011 to have a GPS locator on the camera, will plug GPS co-ordinates right into my EXIF. (I love gadgets!) :mrgreen: Also picked up an old Rolleiflex from hubby's grandfather. Just had it CLA'd, and hoping to do a few special shots with it next year. Its circa 1949 and sans metering. The Nikon D3 will become my meter. :D

Headed out of Ludlow and drove up Rte 7. Grabbed these randomly along the way.

Shortly after turning off onto Rte 116. I was sure our day was done when I saw these clouds. Thankfully, it wasn't!

Chase Street Cemetery

Views in New Haven/Bristol on/near East Street

A gentleman who was heading out of his house invited me up onto the deck to shoot these two. Have his address, need to get it printed large and send it to him. :D

Loved the bright orange coming through the belltower of the school house.

Along East Street

These next few are along Briggs Hill Rd and Ishiam Hollow Road in Bristol.

Couldn't decide which view I liked better.

Common Road up in Waitsfield

Turkey Hill Road, late afternoon
Gretchen

BostonRott

Re: 2010 Foliage (a bit late, eh?!) - LOTS of images - Day 1

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:17 pm

Gallery with full-sized pics is here: http://www.pbase.com/bostonrott/vermont_foliage_2010 I think a few above where cut off at the sides here. Click on any thumbnail for full-sized view.
Gretchen

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:48 pm

Gretchen: Amazing photos, absolutely amazing. Been on some of the roads in the uploaded large ones with bm our moderator last year. An appetizer for 2011Autumn in Vermont for sure! Well, on the other hand, how about dessert from 2010? An icing on the cake so to speak? :lol: Thanks for posting these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pwt54

Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:38 am

That schoolhouse photo is a dandy. All of the photos are making me wish fall was here now. This summer has been yucky so far.

Andy

Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:53 am

Some nice images there, Gretchen. A couple of them looked awfully familar. I think the guy who owns the barn on the Common Road knew be by sight at the end of the week :-).

I, too, am a gadget guy. I have tried a couple different iterations of GPS. The first was a connector to my handheld GPS. Worked great, but unfortunately, could never find a good way to get the GPS unit out of the way and it eventually became a nuisance.

Bought a very small unit that fits the hotshoe ($100 from China). Again, pretty slick, but eventually, I noted that it was screwing with my camera's computer and things I needed weren't working right. Disconnect and restart and everything normal again. Also, the ones that power off the camera battery seem to SEVERELY limit battery life. I wish they would just build it into the camera.

On balance, I have decided to go without for the time being. I try to keep good notes on where I have been, as I often add the locations to the PDF. GPS coordinates would definitely help.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

BostonRott

Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:44 am

Andy,

I did the "sync camera clock with GPS clock" and then have the computer plug the data into my EXIF on my Galapagos trip, and it worked well. HOwever, something is completely amiss, and I can't make it work for this trip. I know a lot of people use the di-GPS units (is that the brand you had?) and seem happy with them. For now, its just a dream..........as my truck needs to be replaced within the next year, so no new gadgets for now. :wink:
Gretchen

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Gretchen: I have to agree with Phil. The solo schoolhouse shot is great, especially with the foliage coming through the belltower, but my favorite is the church and schoolhouse duet! With that long view behind them and oh that sky, yowzah!

They both would look amazing on the cover of either of Vermont's magazines, both of which shall remain nameless. :wink:

Great job!

Utah Baker

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:27 pm

WOW! They are all beautiful, and they certainly have me yearning to return. I really like the peaceful cemetary scene with the leaves back lit with the sunlight, it has such a pinky soft glow about it. Strangley inviting! Ah, I will be missing it so this year!

Utah Baker

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:33 pm

WOW! I just made the farm scene on Rt 116, the one just above the cemetary picture, my background, and does it look great!

Utah Baker

Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:09 pm

So, sorry if I have offended you, Gretchen, I have deleted the photo. No harm was ever intended. Sincerely, Janice

Utah Baker

Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:19 pm

I had the day off today, so I took the time to put together some of my favorite pics from our trip last year. I make no claims to being a "photgrapher", these are but my humble vacations pics, taken with my little point and shoot. They are not just Vermont either, we started in New Hampshire, Vermont, and into Mass. The shots taken at the look out at Owls heads of Kettle pond are not nearly as colorful as those posted of past years, but well worth the hike. There are those who think Jenne Farm is way over done, but for me it was a thrill to see it with my own eyes and take my very own pics(thanks to Gretchen great directions). They were taken late afternoon rather than the preferred early morning, and we had to wait for the sun to come out, but the plus was we had it all to ourseleves! Well I hope they wet the appetite for some for the coming season, Enjoy!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1074572829 ... directlink

Andy

Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:17 pm

Janice: Some nice, familiar shots there. My two favorites:

#19 - very moody and creative looking.

#27 - Jenne Farm - a perspective I haven't seen before. I have "critiqued" some images of a couple folks over the years and a couple of them frequent this forum and will hear my refrain: "get closer." You did that with this image and I really like it.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Utah Baker

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:22 am

Andy, Thanks for the kind words, as always. I"d like to think I've learned a few things over the years by reading your suggestions and instruction given on the Photo Forum, as well as observing others work here on the forum. There is so much all can learn here to improve the quality of their vacation photos. Even simpletons like me! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:41 am

Janice: these are some lovely photos! Thanks for providing the link. I truly enjoyed looking at them and it has made me even more excited (not sure how much more I can get :P ) for fall to arrive! In the 50's this a.m.! :shock:

wentworth

Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:14 am

Janice, you have some real beauties there--#3 and #21 are exceptional, and your first Jenne Farm picture is superb--well done!