Images From Saturday, October 9, and Sunday, October 10

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Andy

Images From Saturday, October 9, and Sunday, October 10

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:29 pm

Saturday was our last chance for real colorful foliage. We decided to go where we knew it was. We left at the crack of dawn and headed up 91 to 89 for Waitsfield, with a plan to hit Bragg Road, Common Road, Highway 17 over the mountain and down to the Bristol and New Haven area.

We felt obliged to stop for the sunrise just of I-91 at the Windsor exit:

On to Waitsfield and Common Road:

Its not difficult to see why Carol loved Bragg Hill Road:

Just out of Bristol, we took -- on the recommendation of PWT, CT and Carol, Briggs Hill Road:

We took some other roads, including East Street out of New Haven, but we essentially ran out of days and light. But not before we stopped for about an hour and scrambled around the rocks of Bartlett Falls on Lincoln Road, just out of Bristol:

This is one of my 3 or 4 FAVORITE images of the entire week. Not much about foliage, but nonetheless, one of my favorite subjects and my favorite perspective. I will never get tired of waterfalls!!:

Last edited by Andy on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:49 am

Great photos, Andy. Today we have our first blast of sunshine in a week. Makes the snow on Mt. Mansfield look pretty (yeah, right :roll:). With only a week before I migrate south for the winter, I won't have time to do foliage photography. Next year I hope to have a day off from guiding Ctyanky and just "click away" in the foothills between Wallingford and Danby.

faxmachineanthem

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:02 am

Nice shots Andy! This is the best set from your trip, I think. The first shot is a really nice composition. Too bad the lighting was dim or it could have been perfect.

This one's my favorite. Very nicely framed and the color and light are very pretty.

Andy

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks, FAX: Yeah, the first one was at the dawn light. Almost underexposed. I didn't put that one up on my website as a "keeper." If I did, I might mess around a bit with the shadow/highlights adjustment in PS.

Given what nature served up, I was pretty happy overall with my trip.
Andy

deaner1971

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am

Andy wrote:Thanks, FAX: Yeah, the first one was at the dawn light. Almost underexposed. I didn't put that one up on my website as a "keeper." If I did, I might mess around a bit with the shadow/highlights adjustment in PS.

Given what nature served up, I was pretty happy overall with my trip.
I think it is a big compliment to your shooting that you have a photo that good without making tweaks. I can see where you might tweak the shadows but that is a great shot right out of the camera. Thank you for sharing it.

Andy

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:25 am

Thanks, Deaner. I can always take a compliment or two. Good for the ego :lol:

I had a lot of fun "chasing" the foliage this year. I have also had a lot of fun building a network of "Vermont Friends" mostly from this forum. A couple of others are from other forums, through introductions, etc. Between them, I was on the cell phone, or checking e-mail several times a day, comparing notes. What a great resource this is!
Andy

deaner1971

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:12 am

Happy to bestow compliments when they are so well deserved.

One of the things I love about that shot is the layers (in the visual, not Photoshop, sense). It is a shot that does what great shots are meant to do which it to draw the viewer from near to far almost as though exploring a scene rather than just "looking at it".

Again, wonderful and thanks.