Recommendation request

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Recommendation request

Fri Sep 22, 2000 1:07 pm

I am planning to drive to Vermont, along<BR>with some friends, the first weekend in<BR>October. We will be driving from NY. Since<BR>the main reason for this drive is to see<BR>the fall foliage, I would appreicate if<BR>someone can let me know what would be the<BR>best route to take to see the foliage at<BR>its best.<BR>Thanks.

svmoderator

Re: Recommendation request

Tue Sep 26, 2000 8:16 pm

Anil,The first week of October, next week, I would recommend coming into Vermont from New York State on Rte. 9 into Bennington, then take Rte. 7 into Manchester; then take Rte. 11 east into Londonderry, then north on Rte. 100 through Ludlow and into Plymouth. You could take Rte. 100A through Plymouth Notch and the President Coolidge Homestead, past there you'll junction with Rte. 4.At this point, you have a choice of heading east into Woodstock and over to the Quechee Gorge, which I think would be good on your way north. Then, jump onto I-89 and go north to Stowe, I just drove this today, and the foliage is advancing there, by next week it should be outstanding. Stowe is at Exit 10, you can take Rte. 100 into Stowe (passing or stopping at Ben & Jerrys on the way) and then to Rte. 108 north over Smugglers Notch, beautiful views and the road is closed in winter, quite dramatic. Continue north on Rte. 108 to Jeffersonville and take Rte. 15 south to Rte. 117 to Richmond, pass I-89 and go south to Rte. 17 near Bristol. This entire trip has breathtaking views. Go east over the Appalachian Gap on Rte. 17, and you'll see gorgeous views on the way up and down the other side. Make sure you stop at the beaver pond at the top where the Long Trail crosses the road. Then, you'll junction with Rte. 100 again in Waitsfield and the Mad River Valley. Head south on Rte. 100, and you'll have wonderful views of the surrounding hillsides all the way to Killington and Rte. 4, just west of Rutland. From here, you can decide if you have time to go back the way you came (through Manchester on Rte. 100) or take Rte. 4 west to I-87 in New York to head home.We've done this drive numerous times, and we are always amazed at how beautiful everything is...enjoy!!Susanne