Bristol-Vergennes-Middlebury...Looking Good!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Andy

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks for keeping us up to date, BM. As I posted last night, everything looked pretty darn good to me from Rutland North and West of the Mountain range. Everything, N to S on the East of the range, except some pockets here and there are everywhere from just past peak to completely roached -- sticks.

Drove Route 9 From Brattleboro to Bennington late this a.m. Mostly the same -- well past peak. Went North to Arlington and over to West Arlington on my way out of town. Foliage gets better as you travel North. Didn't get all the way to Manchester. Would guess the highlands in Manchester are gone. But the lower elevations a probably pretty good, based on what I saw in Arlington.

As I traveled West into upstate NY, things got better. I can only conclude that the Hurricane effect didn't hurt NY as much and perhaps they had a wetter summer. There were some pretty spectacular sights in upstate NY between Claremont and Saratoga Springs. Unfortunately most of it was West viewing and there was no real opportunity for me to photograph it -- besides, I really needed to try to put some miles behind me. In my hotel near Rochester, NY tonight.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Susan2004

Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:54 pm

I'm hoping we'll head down to the Addison/Vergennes area before we go home since I'd like to stop at Dead Creek finally...happy to hear things are looking good there.

We were also thinking of heading to Woodstock the middle of the week now that the Columbus Day traffic should be slowing down. Any idea of what it looks like down there?

I do have to say that driving in via our home in Central NY and through Saratoga Springs I was surprised that the foliage did seem to be popping more in NY than VT. Not typical for certain, but we've had really brilliant reds at home this year. Definitely LOTS of rain the last few weeks, and we've gotten at least two frosts so that might have helped.

Andy

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Susan. Drove home to MI through Saratoga Springs from Arlington. Colors were (gasp) much better in upstate NY than in Vermont -- leaves hanging on, and even a few more brilliant reds. Unfortunately I was back on deadline by then and unable to stop and shot "the roses" so to speak.

If you are looking for foliage, I would skip Woodstock and concentrate on the area from Manchester North on the West Side of the Mountain. The East side of the state is basically gone -- leaves off, except for little pockets which you have to be lucky to find.
Andy

cady101

Advice for Oct 13, 14 and 15?

Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:27 pm

Friends on extended cross-continent trip, eager for more leaf color. *** From Indonesia,compare leaf colors to fish in coral reef! :) ***
Driving from Montreal to Shelburne Wed+visiting for 3 days on their way further south. Need suggestions re:
1.For Montreal to Shelburne: NY Northway/Adirondacks to Charlotte ferry vs I-89 thru VT?

2.Worth it to go thru Smuggs Notch Rtes 104-108-100 to Stowe+Waterbury or too late? or other?

3.Daytrips:Any hike, car or bike ideas starting in Shelburne 10/13-16?

4. Best bets after they leave here Friday or Saturday? NY? MA? southernVT?
Thanks very much.[b[/b]

Andy

Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:41 pm

In my opinion, the Notch is too late, as is Waterbury, etc.

Stay south of Shelburne on your side of the Mountain.
Andy