Foliage Drive

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

rjain

Foliage Drive

Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:40 am

Hi,

Myself and my husband are going to Vermont on 10/06/03 and will be there for 3 days. I know this is late to ask this question now but i came to know about this site now and would appreciate if someone could reply to this. This is my first visit and we don't want to miss out the fun.

1. We will be staying in Stowe and would like to know the scenic fall drives in the area.

2. I also would like to know other attractions in that area.

3. We were also thinking of going to Jay Peak Area. How do u recommend that.

4. Also we would be going to Vermont from Nashua, NH. Can someone tell me a good route from nashua to Stowe so that we could see some fall on the way.

pwt54

Re: Foliage Drive

Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:54 pm

Last question first.Take I-93 north to I-89 in Concord,NH.. Take I-89 to Vermont.Get off exit 10 and turn right onto route 100 north. It' 10 miles to Stowe from there. Foliage is running a little late this year. Any road northeast of Stowe will be good. Route 108 through Smuggler's Notch is closed right because of snow. To get to Jay Peak you have to take route 100 north from Stowe to route 101 in Troy. Take route 101 north to route 242 west to Jay Peak. The ride up is nice and has good color. The Tram to the top of Jay Peak might be still going. There should be snow on top of Jay Peak so, it might not be going. That's all right, the ride up and back to Stowe is worth it. The ride back to Stowe goes like this; after Jay Peak finish route 242 west to Montgomery. Turn right for route 118 west. It may be lunch time so stop at the little restuarant. If it's too early, keep going and eat on the way back. Go about 3 miles to Montgomery Center. As you enter the village you'll see the Richford Road on the right and the covered bridge. Check it out and then come back and turn right. Go a few hundred few and turn onto the Comstock Road on your left. The road is closed because they are repairing the covered bridge. Park somewhere and walk down as far as they let you and see how they are doing. Come back out and turn left to continue route 118 west. There will be 2 more covered bridges on you left right beside the road. The first is the Longley Bridge. I can't remember the name of the second bridge right now. After the second bridge, turn around and take route 118 east back to Montgomery. If you haven't had lunch yet, better do it now. It's your last chance. Continue route 118 south to route 109 south. Do route 109 south toward Waterville. Look for the Waterville Elem. School on your left. There is another Covered bridge about 2 miles on your left. In the village look for the town hall with a clock on your left. Take the street across from the town hall for aother covered bridge. Turn around and go back to route 109 and turn right. Go through the village and about a 1/2 mile route 109 takes a hard right. At the top of the curve on your left is the Hog Back Road. Take that to the end at route 15 in Johnson. Turn left and take route 15 east to the Jct. of route 100 SOUTH in Morrisville to get back to Stowe. I hope I haven't confused you too much. A good thing about this area is there aren't that many paved roads. As long as you are on a paved road you will find civilization. If you hit a dirt road turn around.