Macks Mountain Road

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Rockwall Tim

Macks Mountain Road

Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:38 pm

If anyone gets to travel this road (goes NW out of Peacham) before next Friday, I would appreciate a critique of it's color. It was fantastic about this time last year, but we all know this is a different proposition this year.
II Cor. 4:17

MrBumps

Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:17 pm

I hit that road today when I left Peacham. The color wasn't bad, but I have seen it better. The hillsides off the left side of the road were pretty good. But next Friday is a long way off when foliage is concerned! Hopefully someone can give you a more current update later in the week.

lirwin13

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:54 pm

I would agree with MrBumps. I was on Macks Mountain road this afternoon, and found mostly yellow color, and that was a bit sporadic. The color seemed to be in "patches" along the road, with some nice color in one area, and duller color or leaf loss in another.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:34 am

I saw autzig last night. He was not thrilled with Macks Mountain Road either. It is still a lovely drive and I would not miss it, foliage or not. Visiting the old cemetary and town is a must if you have never been.

Rockwall Tim

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:43 am

Ah, been there many times. Once, my wife and I were exhausted after travelling all day and dropped by the little store in "downtown" Peacham. They were selling homemade lemon bars and man, did we load up!
II Cor. 4:17

Andy

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:45 pm

Al's comment was that the leaves were mostly gone on the Mack's Mountain Road. I am afraid it might be too late. In the northern part of the state, my observation is that most of the leaves are off in all of the highlands. However, there is still some very nice foliage on the hillsides in and in the lower areas.

I found good foliage yesterday in Sheldon, Fairfield, along both the lower and upper Pleasant Valley Roads on the West side of Mt. Mansfield, and again this afternoon on the upper hollow road in Stowe, up near the Trapp Family lodge in Stowe.

I think you will have to look harder this year, but you will find some. It is not a vibrant as in the best years, and not the percentage of reds, but it is there.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .