Will need updates after tomorrow's bad weather...

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Rockwall Tim

Will need updates after tomorrow's bad weather...

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:16 pm

Thursday's weather is gonna be horrible in Vermont and potentially bad for foliage. So can I count on the wonderful folks here to report in after the storm passes and tell us if the foliage survived the winds?

I noticed that the St. Johnsbury area is expecting 30+ mph winds. I almost threw up.
II Cor. 4:17

ixl

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:31 am

The rain appears to be trending further east this morning than the models called for. They were suggesting most of the rain at the start would be over NYS, then moving over Vermont later in the day.

This isn't the best of news unless it means the storm is moving faster than expected and we're just getting now what we were supposed to get later (as opposed to just a lot more!)
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:35 am

The weather report up here says the rain will be heavy at times but should be over by tomorrow morning and no mention of high winds. I'll try to keep you posted if ctyanky doesn't run me ragged. :?

Rockwall Tim

Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:05 am

So I woke up at 4:45 this morning, praying that the St. Johnsbury had changed from yesterday...yesterday, it had predicted winds in excess of 35 mph.

Prayer works. Today's forecast: calm winds getting up to 7 mph later in the day. Of course, lots of rain, but I feared the high winds.

The knot in my stomach has vanished!

ixl

Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:15 am

After thinking about it, I came up with a not-quite-scientific way of seeing how much impact the day of rain will have on the color. More details tomorrow. ;)

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

faxmachineanthem

Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:36 am

I'm praying with you Tim. :)

ixl

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:31 am

That's.... not good.

ETA: Burlington NWS sez:
Have increased winds somewhat across the area 21-04z this
evening as 35-50 knots 925mb jet core moves across the area. Due to
stable boundary layer conditions...valley winds generally remain
15-25 miles per hour this evening...with a few gusts to 35 miles per hour east of the Green
Mountains that may even prove a bit high depending on stability. However...the
summits and elevated terrain with southern exposure will see some
stronger gusts possible. We will continue to monitor wind
potl...but looks below advisory at this time outside of the summits.
Also not good.

Rockwall Tim

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:50 am

It seems like the high wind warnings are clusted in the southern part of the state.

ctyanky
Board Admin

I HAVE ARRIVED!!!!! :)

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:53 am

OK! What a dreadfully awful driving day up 91. UGH. Rain from 6 a.m. thru my arrival at 11:30 and it's still raining! NO WIND YET.

Took me 5 1/2 hours with 2 small pit stops. 1/2 the trip was driving rain, not tropical, but steady, then on and off, and then pouring rain. So much heavy cloud cover I could not make out the distant hills but color is definately out there peaking thru the mist and yuck.

So...... I got off exit 17 and headed out on 302 to Groton. Nice drive. Emerging color. I passed Minard Hill Road to Peacham. Big decision. To go to the Peacham Fall Foliage Festival in the rain or take 232 through the Groton State Forest. The latter won out! My gut told me to continue on and WOW, the GSF drive is at peak in 1/2 and near peak the other 1/2. This weekend is the one to go there! The drive is awesome. Then I ended up in Marshfield at route 2 and turned west and then north on 215. I have never been on this road to Cabot! Parts of 215 are at peak and it brought me to tears I was so thrilled! Even through the rain I could see the hillside with lots of oranges and golds. Passed the Cabot Creamery and continued on to route 15 West. Wolcott is nearing peak and should be the best this weekend and early next week. Last year Al and I saw tremendous color here. I love route 15!

I had lunch in a bakery/cafe in the village and now relaxing at the inn. I am exhausted!

HOWEVER, I need to go to the Johnson Woolen Mills to shop to end the rainy day excursion. I tried calling Phil's cell phone but he is hiding from me, I just know it! 5 hours of sleep and I'm rarin' to go!!!!

I don't know what Phil and I have on the tour map tomorrow as the rain has hampered two of our outdoor activities but I want to drive around Johnson, Morrisville and Elmore Mountain Road and stop at Boyden Winery.

Where are you Phil?????????????? :wink: If you are reading this please call my cell phone!!!!!! :shock:

I'm off to the Woolen Mills and old bookstore in Johnson and then back to pass out! :roll:

Stay tuned for weekend reports!

ixl

Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:02 pm

Geez, the latest model run shows 2-4" of MORE rain on top of what we've already gotten, over the next 24 hours. Fun.

kate5405

Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:04 pm

Arriving from Oregon tomorrow morning--if flights are not delayed in Newark. It's unusually warm here--80 degrees today. I'll try to bring the warm and dry weather with me. Can't wait to see the beautiful leaves. I just checked out the National Life webcam in Montpelier. Foggy there and that's where we will be. Heading to the Seacost of NH Saturday for a lobster roll (been waiting over a year) and hope to see some beautiful foliage over the mountains. My traveling companion has never been to Vermont and I have not been in autumn so we are really excited. Praying for warm and dry weather and no wind!
Kathy in OR

autzig

Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:31 pm

We flew into Boston this morning and drove to Franconia, NH. The rain started at Concord, NH and has been pretty steady since. The forecast is for heavy rains tonight and tomorrow. The clouds were covering the mountains so all in all, not very good leaf peeping. There is some wind, but it isn't too strong. While it is hard to tell because of the low clouds, it appears to be pretty close to peak color here. The streams are already full. More rain could be a problem for those color along the stream photos.

The forecast does look good for this weekend.

Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:36 pm

It is pouring cats and dogs. Wicked awful.

The Johnson Woolen Mills was so much fun. There is a craft store two stores down that is the best!!!! Going back tomorrow. (Sorry Phil, can you just wait outside five minutes???? :P )

I just spent an hour helping tourists from Switzerland plan their routes in the Townshend, Chester, Grafton and Newfane corridor with a side trip to the Green Mountain Sugar House and on to Weston! They were so overwhelmed with what to do and now they are excited about their day trips over the next two days! They said it rained the whole week here. I enjoyed sending them on their way to a new adventure!

bm: sorry we didn't meet up today. Just as well. See you Monday. You were the one who told me about route 215. Thank you! I saw Cabot Plains Road!!!!! Folks, this is an awesome road with long views! Take it! :wink:

GIC

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:20 pm

Hey autzig, ctyanky and all

Don't worry when I arrive late tomorrow evening the skies will clear just like Noah parted the sea. The sun shall shine. LOL C U all soon.

GIC

pwt54

Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:12 pm

I wish I could have been there to see ctyanky giving directions. :shock: I had relatives from Canada visiting today.