Chester, Andover, Ludlow, Weston, Grafton: Emerging Color!!!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Chester, Andover, Ludlow, Weston, Grafton: Emerging Color!!!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:04 pm

OMG: I don't know how to begin this wonderful day trip today in Vermont! 10 hours of bliss - fun, awesome craft fair, winding dirt back roads, old cemetary, long views, farms, trees beginning to turn in reds and oranges and meeting a new forum member!

So here we go! We started out at 8 this a.m. Driving up 91 around northern MA into the VT border, we noticed lots of firecrackers in the hillsides and small pockets of color clusters which got our adrenaline going full speed ahead! We got off of exit 6 in Rockingham and stopped at the Vermont Country Store. I've never been to this one as I've only been to the one in Weston. It was not crowded at all and we found so many wonderful things for our homes as well as gifts for others. Drove up to the Chester Craft Fair on the Green! AMAZING! White tents lined the green on both sides and up and down the street. Lots of local items, juried crafts, food, jazz band on the Fullerton Inn porch and happy folks and pets everywhere enjoying warm weather and the beautiful town of Chester! Such a friendly and talkative lot! :lol: (Or maybe it's just me :roll: ) Met lots of people from the area and other states. I went into my favorite old bookstore and broke down and bought the Vermont Atlas and Gazetteer. Now I have all the maps I can ever use! :shock:

We met up with bvahjen and his beautiful wife and daughter at the gazebo! They are a lovely family and we had some nice conversations about Vermont, the area and the forum! :lol: He is the one who gave me the gorgeous back road drives I am about to describe. After two hours of shopping we even met up with them again and we showed each other our great finds!

So, then we followed his road tour. WOW! (Andy, if you are reading this please go here! I know you are going to this area). We traveled west on Route 11 from town center and turned right on Andover Road. We stayed on this for a bit and turned right on East Hill Road, a nice dirt road, at the red brick schoolhouse. Slightly steep hill but easy compared to some we have been on. He told us to look south and southeast for views at the old cemetary. YIKES! Just incredible! We visited the very old Andover Cemetary which had stones dating back to the late 1700's. Just fascinating! This area had the most change of color we had seen yet. I would say about 15-20%. Lots of clusters of reds, purples and oranges and more hillsides showing early color. Just past the graveyard to the north were more long views that were not mentioned in my directions from bv but worth a look. Lots of farms along the way. The dirt road is highly manageable and I hope you all can find the time to take this road!

We continued on to Ludlow. We did not have time to go to Okemo Mountain unfortunately as we HAD to stop at the Green Mountain Sugarhouse for a maple creemee and more gifts! We also had to play with Kelly, the lab, who has grown so old! It made me sad to see how she has aged over the years but she can still wave her paw at everyone leaving the store! I gave her a kiss on the head and said my goodbye. :cry:

Turned around and took 100 South to Weston. On the way there we passed two of my favorite roads. Site Road and the Old Weston Mountain Road. Early color looks very promising there too! Continuing on, we took route 11 east out of Londonderry. Magic Mountain had nice pockets of early color here and there! Then took 11 east out of Londonderry to route 121 east.

My Jimapco says this was paved but maybe I read it wrong :?: A stunning, dirt road drive through the forest. Lots more color in here for some reason. It kept going and going and going! I was getting a little concerned but the beauty of this area kept us focused. The twists and turns begged us on. We passed a cute alpaca farm on the way and lots of boggy areas. If you look on your Jimapco, it is also called Houghtonville Road. We ended up in the lovely town of Grafton! Pretty deserted but this area will be hopping soon enough. We ended our day through Saxtons River and on to 91.

A blessed day of travel indeed! The ride home was great just talking about all of our adventures! I can not wait to get back up for my trip! I am very EXHAUSTED :!: :!:

Thank you bv for the recommendations! They were the best part of the tour! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

wentworth

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:33 pm

excellent S. Vermont report ct! I see Andover Rd and Houghtonville Rd off Rt 11 on page 25 on the JIMAPCO street atlas--will definitely try to get down there from Killington early next week

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:28 am

Carol: A perfect day indeed!

Wentworth: Thanks! I think you will like route 121. One thing I forgot to mention is that bvahjen had given me another road to take called the Popple Dungeon Road out of Chester. When we were driving Houghtonville Road we saw a narrower, dirt road called Stagecoach Road that shot out from our left (about midway). When I got home and looked at the map, it hooked up with Popple Dungeon! bv described Popple Dungeon as the best local dirt road in Chester and you might like to try that as well. It's a nice loop!

bvahjen

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:55 am

What a weekend! The Chester Craft Fair was so good we went both days and the weather could not be more perfect. Looks like it will continue. Some may be interested in the mountains you are looking at when you are on East Hill looking to the southeast. The largest is Mount Sunapee in NH and to the right of that is Mount Modnadnock. Quite a view from up on the hill and it is only going to get better.

Utah Baker

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:51 am

CT: I am so envious of your being so close to be able to take these weekend trips! It brought back so many memories, one of the year we went to Danville's celebration on the green. So many friendly people! And good things to eat and buy. (I still order my maple syrup from a gentleman there, always have a gallon in the fridge!) And the drives sound absolutely wonderful. 12 days and counting!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Funny you should say that. I often tell Carol how envious I am that she owns a home in Vermont. But I love being so close, yes. I can do so much even in one day, although VERY exhausting!

I've been to the Danville Autumn on the Green quite a few times now. Carol went for the first time last year! Great crafts and the food is the best. The folks there were so welcoming. Last year they had only one or two vendors selling syrup. The year or two before, there were at least 10. I now get my syrup at Cold Hollow because Andy's Uncle's syrup is marketed there from Sunday Brook Farm, and it is by far the best I have ever had. If you go to Cold Hollow, ask them to show you where it is. They have two vendors on the shelf but sold under Cold Hollow.

Driving the back roads around Danville is mind boggling!

I see you are counting down like the rest of us! :lol: