Vermont fiction

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Susan2004

Vermont fiction

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:34 pm

Ok, anyone know any good books that are set in Vermont?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Chris Bohjalian

Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:34 am

Chris Bohjalian Books He lives in Lincoln.

Susan: I read "Secrets of Eden" (really good!) and hope to read some more of his when I ever get a free moment! :roll:

Bohjalian has written twelve novels and a compilation of articles from his weekly newspaper column. His books and the year they were published follow:

•A Killing in the Real World, 1988
•Hangman, 1991
•Past the Bleachers, 1992
•Water Witches, 1995
•Midwives, 1997
•The Law of Similars, 1998
•Trans-Sister Radio, 2000
•The Buffalo Soldier, 2002
•Idyll Banter, Weekly Excursions to a Very Small Town, a collection of columns from his ongoing column in The Burlington Free Press, 2003
•Before You Know Kindness, 2004
•The Double Bind, 2007
•Skeletons at the Feast, 2008
•Secrets of Eden, 2010

deaner1971

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:22 am

Archer Mayor writes a series of crime novels centering on Brattleboro detective Joe Gunther. His appearance schedule is very Vermont heavy in October so check his schedule if you would like to stop by some place where he'll be signing copies of his work: http://www.archermayor.com/appearances.htm Or you can contact the Northshire Bookstore in Manchester Center before his appearance there at the end of October and place and order and they will have a copy signed for you and ship it to where you live.

Second Glance by Jody Picoult is a ghost story set in Vermont.

Joseph A. Citro writes both paranormal fiction and "non-fiction" about Vermont. He is a very nice gentleman from whom you can directly buy autographed copies of his work. You can see a list of his works and contact him to place an order here: http://www9.addr.com/~jacitro/ He also often appears on VPR around Halloween.

If the interest in Vermont fiction is a longterm affair, I would recommend finding a copy of A Guide to Fiction Set in Vermont by Ann McKinstry Micou.

If I can recommend a movie set in Vermont, I would like to put forward "State and Main". While actually shot in Massachusetts, it was written and directed by Vermont resident David Mamet. One of the stars of the movie, Clark Gregg, was dividing his time between "State and Main", set in Vermont, and the set of another movie "What Lies Beneath" also set in Vermont and actually being shot in Vermont at the time. Gregg wrote the screen play for "What Lies Beneath".

Sorry for the deviation into trivia there at the end.

From_the_NEK

Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:10 pm

There are several fiction books by Howard Frank Mosher that are set in Vermont (mostly the NEK). A few were turned into full production movies. Where the Rivers flow North" was the original (and my opinion the best) book to movie adaptation.