Honeymooning in New England the week of Oct 17th

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

eric8

Honeymooning in New England the week of Oct 17th

Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:21 pm

We'll be in Vermont around the 21st and 22nd. I was hoping the fall foilage would still be in full swing but from reading now it looks like it will all be over. :(

We're coming from Alabama and this is our first trip up to your part of the country. Are there any really nice towns to visit? We were thinking of Woodstock, Vermont. We would like to visit a very nice and beautiful Norman Rockwell type area! Gosh, I hope some of the leaves are still on the trees!

ixl

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:22 pm

First of all... welcome and congrats. :)

That's a bit late for Vermont. If we are having a typical year you can catch the tail end of color in the SW and SE corners of the state, near Bennington or Brattleboro.

But if you want to see color you may want to focus a bit south of there. Southern New England and coastal areas in and around Boston will probably be good at that time. Though every year is different.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:48 am

I have to agree with ixl. The best color would be in the southern Bershire Mountains of Massachusetts and Connecticut or the Catskills of New York.

ixl

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:02 am

Probably too late for the Catskills, as it's basically a high plateau. Only the eastern edge along the Hudson Valley would be good at that time, is my guess.

But between here and where the honeymooners are coming from, there's virtually guaranteed to be some nice areas...
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Andy

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:09 am

I'll add my congratulations. Can't add anything else useful.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi Eric and congrats!

Not to sound contrary, :wink: but if you are still intent on seeing some picturesque VT towns, despite the foliage situation at that time, then you should. The crowds will be down quite a bit. Since this is your first trip to Vermont and you still intend to be there those two days, why not drive around to a few and still be able to enjoy the essence of Vermont and the ambiance of its small villages and towns.

Charles: is the upper and lower Champlain Valley area still nice at that time?

Eric: You might get hooked and come back next year for a full foliage vacation earlier in the month! Take a look around and enjoy! The backroads are still lovely!

Here is a link I posted in 2007 for some personal choices of Top Ten Towns. There were quite a few responses. Woodstock is indeed a stunning town and you will certainly enjoy all it has to offer but there are so many others that you can also visit in two days. Check below!

http://scenesofvermont.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1488
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

deaner1971

Re: Honeymooning in New England the week of Oct 17th

Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:50 am

eric8 wrote:We'll be in Vermont around the 21st and 22nd. I was hoping the fall foilage would still be in full swing but from reading now it looks like it will all be over. :(

We're coming from Alabama and this is our first trip up to your part of the country. Are there any really nice towns to visit? We were thinking of Woodstock, Vermont. We would like to visit a very nice and beautiful Norman Rockwell type area! Gosh, I hope some of the leaves are still on the trees!
Congrats! I would agree with the southern Vermont sentiment given your time of year.

Your mention of "Norman Rockwell" makes me think you folks might enjoy the drive from Bennington to Manchester Village via the 7A. You'll get some nice views of southern Vermont life and along the way you can visit the Norman Rockwell museum in Arlington. Rockwell lived there for 14 years and it was his experiences in the town that lead him to work on small town America with such affection and truth. In fact, many of the townsfolk were his models for some of his most famous works.

You could then head down 313 (intersects with 7A) and see the Inn on Covered Bridge Green which, in additional to being the home of the aforementioned and much photographed covered bridge, was once Mr. Rockwell's home and studio.

You can continue up 7A to Manchester which offers a variety of experiences from a well preserved core (Manchester Village) to excellent dining and shopping (Manchester Center) including the flagship Orvis store (Orvis is based in Sunderland, which you will pass on 7A) if such interests you.

From there you can either jump onto 7 (the modern freeway that replaced 7A) to places north or head east on 11/30 (at the top of the first mountain, turn right to continue on 30 as 11 continues off to your front) to the villages of Jamaica (stop for coffee at the Jamaica Coffee Shop) and Newfane. Newfane, in particular, will probably fulfill your desire for a Rockwellian experience. Along the way, you can stop and photograp the Scott covered bridge, one of the longest in Vermont.

Sorry, was that too much info?