Foliage From Above-Tram, Gondola, Chair Lifts! UPDATED 2011

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Foliage From Above-Tram, Gondola, Chair Lifts! UPDATED 2011

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:44 am

Everyone: I have just updated the list of seven major Vermont mountains offering tram, gondola or chair lift rides over foliage season from the post of 2010. I’ve included below, some of the narrative made with the original post. If you notice that the rides are listed for the summer time frame, check further, and you will see the schedules also go into September and/or October.

These are a great way to view vast expanses of the ranges and valleys plus variations of foliage. The rides are exhilarating and I think they are worth the price. They are open weather permitting, i.e. wind conditions, and some are just operating on weekends. The scenery is breathtaking to say the least. For instance on the Mt. Snow lift, the view of Somerset Reservoir was beyond amazing! Charles (ixl) has a stunning panorama of Somerset under the post, Perfect, Stunning Day - Preseason Meetup - Southern VT. (July 2010).

The mountains included below are: Mount Snow (Chairlift), Mt. Mansfield (Gondola), Sugarbush (Chairlift), Mad River Glen (Chairlift), Jay Peak (Tram), Killington (Gondola) and Stratton (Gondola).

Please call ahead before you go to make sure all this information is on target in regards to scheduling/pricing/weather reports. ("Some" of them include pricing).

I’ve now been on four of the seven Stowe Gondola (Mt. Mansfield), Sugarbush, Mt. Snow (last pre-season meet up) and with Phil last October on the Jay Peak Tram. In my opinion, so far, the views at the top of Jay Peak were the most outstanding of all. It was like being on top of the world!

Phil, mmvt and I are taking the Killington Gondola this coming fall and Phil, bm and I are taking the Mad River Glen single chair lift the first weekend of October! That leaves just one! The Stratton gondola! I'm hoping I can fit it in somehow on this trip to complete the list! :wink:

As an alternative to driving around leaf peeping, foliage viewing from above is spectacular to say the least! If anyone has been on any of these, it would be fun to share with the forum viewers your experiences, comments, etc.

Please let me know if you have any trouble with the links below. The comments are from last year but I'm sure they still ring ture! You will love the experience! Enjoy!

http://mountsnow.com/activities/scenic-chair-lift/

http://summer.stowe.com/activities/summer_attractions/
Scroll down to Gondola Ride

http://www.sugarbush.com/summer/resort- ... lift-rides

http://www.madriverglen.com/?Page=calendar.php
Scroll down to Sept 24/25 and the Oct 1/2 Green and Gold Weekend.

http://www.jaypeakresort.com/
Click on golf/summer, then rates/hours, then tram rides

http://www.killington.com/summer/activi ... dola_rides

http://www.stratton.com/todo/summer-act ... ondola.htm
Last edited by ctyanky on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

deaner1971

Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:30 am

I have done the Stratton gondola ride. Unfortunately the weather was not my friend and humidity, wind, and cloud cover were all pretty high so I had pretty much the wrong conditions for long range photos.

What I can advise however is that, once you exit the gondola at the top (ride was $10 I believe when I was there), head toward the Ursa Express and then down toward the resort a little ways. On your left you will come to an elevated platform where you can get some good photos/views.

If you can get a nice and crisp fall day where most of the haze gets sapped out of the air, Stratton could be a very nice location for some foliage photos.

I'll be back up there in early October so I hope to get some good shots to share.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi Deaner: Looking forward to your photos if the weather is cooperating on the Stratton lift. I'll let you know how Jay Peak tram was in early October. We're probably going mid-day to early afternoon. I read somewhere about the fog around the mountain that can linger.
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Brandon

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:41 pm

Thanks for the post, ctyanky. I think I'll plan this fall's trip around two or three of these resorts.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:49 pm

Brandon: You're welcome. If you do, please report back so others can enjoy the comments. I love the dramatic views of layer upon layer of mountains in the distance. You just can't beat it! Plus the ride up is a lot of fun. When we went up Mt. Mansfield, it was so cold at the top and some of us were not dressed for it! I wore gloves, earmuffs and a ski jacket, and it was only the first weekend of October. So be prepared for cold and wind at the top; dressing in layers always a good idea. :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:34 am

Hope some of you got to ride one of the lifts, gondolas or trams this year. I have three left: Killington, Stratton and Mad River Glen single chair lift.

My gondola ride up Jay Peak was amazing and it was my most exhilarating of all of the above so far, including Mansfield. The 100-mile views at the top were unbelievable! We finally had a stellar day for the ride although we waited around a bit for the last of the clouds to dissipate over the peak. A warm day on top that required only a light jacket at best; some folks just in T shirts! Lots of families, hikers and dogs. $10 per person well worth it! There are two picnic tables at the top and some families had a full spread including wine and cheese! Just delightful! I know Phil thoroughly enjoyed it too! (Parking was a challenge this year as they are repaving the lots and it was a waste of time trying to find a spot and frustrating.)

This summer on one of our pre-season meetups and next fall, I hope to try two of the remaining three. The Mad River Glen lift is hard to pin down as they do one run I have heard on their fall foliage weekend late September. I tend to miss this one every year!

Brandon, glad you enjoyed your ride!

CarlyT

Re: Foliage From Above-Tram, Gondola, Chair Lifts! UPDATED 2

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 am

I can't wait for this season. I've only seen the foliage in Vermont and New England once three years ago. I'm looking forward to this season and hopefully many more as I plan on moving up there before the end of the year.
Carly - Need New Jersey moving company for move to Vermont