Great Day in SE VT! Awesome back roads, nice shops and HOT!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Great Day in SE VT! Awesome back roads, nice shops and HOT!

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:49 am

One day this past weekend I traveled up to the SE corner of VT for the day. Albeit quite hot and humid, it was a wonderful day! Brattleboro is presently dug up on Main Street; the road is being graded so it I was glad to get out of the traffic. I hope it is finished by foliage season. Route 30 is a lovely drive and we stopped at the Newfane Country Store for a few gifts and over to the Newfane Market for some great sandwiches! (Also, a very nice wine selection!) Further up in Townshend on 30, I stopped at a new place called Lawrence’s Smoke House which was like a mini Deakin Farms. Great stuff!

The Dummerston covered bridge was pretty overlooking the West River and there were a ton of folks swimming, tubing and floating below. It was quite a scene! All along the river, people flocking to cool off and cars were lined up everywhere. It looked so inviting! I felt like jumping in as it was really HOT HOT HOT.

Townshend has the most typical New England town green -with a stunning church with black shutters and lovely gazebo. Left route 30 and turned on 35. Here are two dirt beautiful roads to travel in beautiful Townshend if you are in this area: East Hill Road and Deer Valley Road. Picturesque! Winding back roads with pastures, barns and horses! The trees were lush and canopied fully over the road and I’m sure in the fall, this is going to be one splendid drive. It reminded me a lot of Upper Notch Road in the Middlebury area. So I am definitely planning on a return visit. Here are the directions from Brattleboro if you are interested.

From the South: Take I-91 North to Exit 2, Brattleboro. Take left off ramp onto Rt. 9. Take 2nd left onto Cedar St. and follow to the end. Take left onto Rt. 30, follow for approx. 20 minutes to the center of Townshend. Take right onto Rt. 35. Follow for 2 miles, take right onto Easthill Rd. Take 1st left onto Deer Valley Rd. (The first turnoff for Easthill Road comes soon so don’t take this one or you’ll miss the Deer Valley road, pretty bumpy!). There are many private roads here so keep with the map.

Finished the day with an incredible horse show in Townshend that I’ll never forget! I’ll save it for another post when I can get a photo up.

It was a great day trip indeed although a driving rain storm through Brattleboro and along 91 provided some very unpleasant driving conditions! Could barely see through the windshield! :shock:

This area of SE Vermont is simply gorgeous. Not enough time to revisit Grafton, a favorite town of mine with a nice back road to Chester. This corridor is a must! I know Andy is eager to get up there and check it all out in October! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot