Is anyone thinking about their 2010 VT foliage trip?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Is anyone thinking about their 2010 VT foliage trip?

Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:27 pm

As Andy and Carol have woken up the photography forum a bit, I thought I would do the same over here in the foliage forum. Some of the SOV moderators “try” to keep the forums going throughout the off-season. Some of us just never leave. Sigh. :roll:

So.... is anyone returning to Vermont next autumn? Have you made any solid plans or just thought about where you would like to go in October?

I don’t think I’ve stopped thinking about Vermont since I left :wink: so yes, I have tossed around some ideas and even booked a few inns.

I’m going back to Hyde Park for the first weekend in October and then will spend a week in Waitsfield. Still toying with the idea of staying around for Columbus Day Weekend but that weekend won’t gel into form until early summer. It all depends on where the SOV reunion takes place....

Now for the best part! Watch out Vermont! :shock: Thelma and Louise (Carol/Abby and I) are going to tear up Vermont’s back roads for a full week between the first weekend in October and Columbus Day Weekend. We are staying at a fabulous inn in Waitsfield. Carol hasn’t been out of the NEK (good grief :P ) so she’s in for a treat! She is sure to have many new photo ops as we travel the gaps, the Roxbury Mountain Road and lots of towns and villages betwixt and between. I’m looking forward to showing her some of my favorite routes! We are really looking forward to our excursion!

I’m not sure Phil will be responding to this post because he is busy working on his tan, photographing pelicans and collecting hundreds of seashells at many gorgeous Florida beaches. He mentioned he was listening to the VT weather the other day and I’m sure, laughing at us poor souls freezing up here in the northern tiers!

Stay tuned for the sticky thread, the 3rd Annual SOV Fall Reunion, which will appear during the first week of January, 2010!

Hope to hear from some of you viewers out there over the coming months!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Andy

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:54 am

Geez CT! 2010 Fall Foliage? Have the 2009 leaves even fallen yet? :lol:

Seriously, do you make any winter runs up to VT? When the contitions are right, there is a different kind of "foliage" -- its just white. Vermont is a pretty beautiful winter wonderland (of course, it can also be treacherous and downright cold).

Merry Christmas!!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:36 am

Hi Andy! I have enough "white stuff" down here to last through and continue on to March/April. :wink:

I've been to VT in winter many times, including stuck in a blizzard on route 7, so yes, I know it's a picturesque place! I need to save my bucks for 12 days in VT this season, and it is going to be quite an expensive trip this year. So meanwhile, will stay down here and enjoy the snowflakes in my own state :!:

(The inn Carol and I are staying at is in fact now 95% filled the week we are there. So we had to jump on it fast! Plus, I had to have my first choice room booked in Hyde Park now or it will be gone by the first of January.) At least I don't have to fuss about accommodations any more. :D

Like Phil always says, "It's never to early to start planning!" :P
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Andy

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:46 pm

Hey Thelma! I was aware that it was difficult to get rooms in Inns during color season. I have actually had pretty decent luck at getting regular chain motel rooms in some of the more populous cities though. Best to plan ahead. When I am retired, I am considering buying/renting a small RV so I can be flexible.
Andy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:19 pm

Carol/Abby/Thelma: Just want to warn you, drama is my middle name. I've been known to push the envelope on the side of adventure, so be prepared. You are truly in for a road trip of a lifetime! Fasten your seatbelt. :twisted:

Louise..... :P

P.S. Good thing your husband is so patient and accommodating with his "knowing" smile and all... :wink:

Andy

Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:33 pm

Carol: Good thing for you Louise is afraid to drive some of those really steep roads :twisted:
Andy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:12 pm

How did Brad Pitt ever become involved in my 2010 foliage post? :?

To get back on track.........

Andy: The only 2 roads in VT that I personally won't drive are the Lincoln Gap (I was a passenger once, that was enough :P ) and the Burke Mountain Toll Road. I put that on my adventure list for October but Phil is going to drive. (He doesn't know it yet). :twisted:

But I don't think Carol is the slight bit interested in either! :wink:

Now that I've heard details of the story of Thelma and Louise, I need a new character. :roll:

Yes, it is going to be a very long winter......

Andy

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Well, CT, you need to see the movie to put my comment into context. In fact, you can skip all the way to the end :lol:
Andy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi Carol/Thelma: Oh, I forgot to mention, I emailed Brad and asked him to join us at the inn. He responded by saying that he's never been to Vermont and wants to join the road trip!

He wants to experience foliage heaven firsthand! Can you believe it? This is going to be quite an adventure! Hope you don't mind. :twisted:

(Like I said before, it's going to be a long, cold and snowy winter.....) :P

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:57 pm

How will I break the bad news to Brad? He was so looking forward to leaf-peeping. There's hardly any maple trees in LA! :cry:

There goes his maple syrup and pancakes.................... :roll:

Andy

Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:50 pm

I really think you guys should go for it! I emailed Angelina and she is willing to spend that time with me while you 3 are on the tour!
Andy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:32 am

I'm game but Thelma has been having serious second thoughts :!: :P We'd be gone five days with Brad; think you can handle that amount of time Andy? :lol:

GEEZ: I was going to take Brad to Sunday Brook Farm and show him where your Uncle's famous maple syrup was made too and then to Cold Hollow to buy a case to take back to LA. He said he's never had real Vermont maple syrup! Can you believe that?

He's going to be very disappointed now. He's never heard of "Riding the Gaps" and that was at the top of his list! No, as a matter of fact, I heard from him last night and he now wants to go to Smugglers Notch and to the top of Mt. Mansfield! :wink:

What am I going to tell him now?????

Well Andy, we have 9.5 months to work on Thelma. But he has to make plane reservations soon....... :roll:

The Saga Continues.......................

Andy

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:38 am

Trust me -- I am one step ahead of you. I have arranged for a baby-sitting service. Angelina is really looking forward to some alone time without any of her 7 brats.
Andy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:32 pm

Well, now that we've "bid adieu" to Brad, et. al., we can get back on track to the original topic! :shock: (Although it was a fun and distracting diversion! :roll: ) Yes, winter in New England is VERY long indeed. :wink:

I'm not the only one thinking about Vermont fall foliage in 2010! :P I have had several folks ask me about various things to do in Vermont during autumn as well as suggesting some nice routes and backroad excursions. Some of my friends have already booked their inns as well.

Peacham has recently posted their 2010 Peacham Fall Foliage Day scheduled for Thursday, September 30th, as part of the NEK Fall Foliage Festival. I'm sure the other towns will follow suit in due time. Here is the new link if you are planning to attend this very popular week-long festival in the NEK. I think they may be the first of the towns in the series of events to post their schedule.

http://www.peacham.net/fallfoliageindex.php

Hope you all are enjoying winter!

pwt54

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:52 am

It's kind of hard for me to concentrate on fall foliage down here in Florida. However there are 2 more important things to do before we look for foliage. First is to find a Moose for ctyanky. Second is to talk her into putting more junk food in her snack suitcase. Then we can do that foliage thing. There are a couple of roads in my area of Johnson and Hyde Park I would like to take her on.