Is anyone thinking about their 2010 VT foliage trip?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:18 am

ctyanky wrote: Peacham has recently posted their 2010 Peacham Fall Foliage Day scheduled for Thursday, September 30th, as part of the NEK Fall Foliage Festival.
Kinda weird, given there will barely be any foliage in Peacham on September 30th.

Heya CT, all. :)
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Thelma and Louise (aka Carol and CT) have added another day of adventure to their 2010 week-long Vermont vacation! We are going to meet bm (moderator from VT) in Burlington on a nice day to take a cruise on the Spirit of the Ethan Allen III on Lake Champlain! I plan to keep Carol hopping every minute of the day all over the northern and central parts of the state with her new camera in tow. Maybe I can even get her to go zip lining? :twisted:

Here is their description of the cruise (which sounds great to me) as well as their website:

http://www.soea.com/

"Explore the depths of the shoreline as the ship cruises alongside the lake’s unique geographic formations. Savor the majestic beauty of the Adirondack and Green Mountain ranges that surround the lake. Bring your cameras--the largest recorded mass sighting of Champ, our elusive lake monster, was aboard the Spirit of Ethan Allen I."

If you are interested, we will meet at the dock and then either before or after the cruise, depending on the weather, will have lunch at the Bridge Restaurant.

bm and I drove by the dock area and saw the cruise boats last fall and the lake was gorgeous. It was chilly and drizzly and not conducive to a boat ride, so we passed on the idea. We are planning to reschedule this for Fall 2010. I think it is a nice diversion from driving around looking at leaves day after day (which I still love to do :wink: ). The views of the Adirondacks and Green Mtns. were awesome. Although the foliage will not be at peak at this time, I think this is another way to further enjoy the great state of Vermont.

Burlington is a wonderful city. I'd like to explore Church Street on a nice day as well. We didn't have a chance to stop last fall. So much to do, so little time! :shock: Shelburne is nearby and is simply beautiful. I stayed at a lovely inn there in October, 2009 and that area is well worth visiting.

So.... if I don't find a moose on this trip, perhaps a Champ sighting??? :P

Keeping this excursion on the back burner for a splendid autumn day on Lake Champlain!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

deaner1971

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:03 am

Sorry not to be able to contribute to the Thelma/Louise/Brad/Angelina/Catherine Zeta Jones cloud through which I just passed :D but yes, I am already planning my 2010 foliage trip.

Last year I wanted to share Vermont with some friends and made it into a "guys trip" which resulted in us coming up way too late in the season and me getting precious few good photos. Had a great time and we look to make the trip up to the cabin a bi-annual event (wives and children permitting) but need to force them to get the timing right so they get the full grandeur next time.

I am planning to play it safe (from a fishing and foliage standpoint) and just shoot for the Columbus day weekend. Also playing it safe and sticking with my usual stomping grounds in the Bennington/Brattleboro/Manchester area.

Already excited to get back!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi Deaner: thanks for the reply and nice to see you back on the forum! I remember your posts from last fall.

Not to worry about the Thelma/Louise/et. al. scene. We got a little carried away but it certainly was a fun diversion! Like I said before, it is a VERY long winter here in New England!

You've picked some great towns for your Columbus Day Weekend. When you are in Bennington, will you be driving the Carpenter Hill Road? I can just imagine how nice it is in autumn; we drove it last summer. Good luck with the fishing and foliage! Hope to see you on the forum again real soon!

Hi mmvt!: How fortunate to have a place to stay where the rates don't change every year! That's unheard of! You'll be in VT approximately the same amount of time and dates as I will be this year. I look forward to your posts on the trips you take everyday. You tell it like it is as far as the foliage is concerned! Any new areas to explore on your itinerary?
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat May 15, 2010 6:40 am

It appears that our webmaster Tim Benson is thinking of fall in Vermont in 2010 now as well. On May 14th, he officially changed the main Scenes of Vermont Foliage web page over to the upcoming 2010 season! :D

http://www.foliage-vermont.com/

We've only got about 4 months now to the first day of Autumn :!: :P

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:42 am

On one of my early morning walks this weekend, I saw a very "dead" branch of a maple tree hanging out over the street. The leaves were a brilliant orange and my heart skipped a beat! The stores are filling up with fall clothes already, unreal! :wink:

Although summer is in full swing and I have boatloads of activities on the agenda the next two months, that stressed tree really made my heart sing! :P I wasn't expecting to see such great color pop out at me in this hot, humid weather of New England! I felt like Mother Nature was tossing out a tease for me knowing how I love the season! :lol: Hopefully, it is a precursor of great things to come!

Have a wonderful summer and hope your fall plans are melding into shape! Looking forward to hearing from all of you out there on what you have thought about so far for your Vermont trips..............