My photos from Oct 17-18---Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

shush

My photos from Oct 17-18---Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:54 pm

So I wasn't happy with the fact that missed most of the color on my way to Vermont. Most of these pics are enhanced and what I could get with what I had.

:o

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 09fbe739bd

4sneau

Your Fall Photos

Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:07 pm

I'm so sorry that your first trip to Vermont wasn't all that you had hoped for. I really enjoyed your photographs, even if they weren't of "Peak" foliage. They are much better than mine that were taken when the color was at it's height; the photographer makes a lot of difference! Thank you for sharing them with us.
Next year, see if you can arrange to visit Vermont during the first week of October; it's a safer bet for Peak...especially up north. I do hope , however, that you enjoyed your weekend in spite of the onset of Stick Season.

shush

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:49 am

Yes, I definitely enjoyed it! Vermont was like nothing I've ever experience before. I was on country roads for the majority of the trip and that was interesting! In a good way.

I'm definitely going back for more.

Andy

Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:53 am

Old timers agree that the first week in October is the best "bet." But we all have to understand that it is nothing more than a bet. Mother Nature can give us incredible sights to behold, but she can also be unpredictable. In 2005, on my Uncle, a lifetime Vermonter's, advice I was in the State for the first weekend in October. It seemed more like early September all week. And I understand that it rained hard and the wind blew the week after. It was the year that the color didn't "happen."

Still, I made some pretty nice photographs that year. As did you Shush. There is an old photographer's saying: "F8 and be there." I think what it means is that you just keep trying and trying. This past weekend, I made my 6th fall folliage trip to the Michigan Upper Peninsula (a close second to NE for foliage) in the past 10 or so years. It is the first time it met my expectations. And did it ever.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

shush

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Where in Michigan is the best foliage?

Andy

Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:58 pm

shush wrote:Where in Michigan is the best foliage?
Well, there is pretty good foliage in parts of the Northern 1/2 of the Lower Peninsula, near Gaylord and in the Pigeon River State Forest. Also Near Lake Michigan From Wilderness State Park all the way down the coast and to Traverse City. Also in the area West of Traverse City in Lelenau County.

However, the BEST, IMHO, is in the Upper Peninsula. There, it is all over the place going West from the Mackinaw Bridge and all the way North and West.

If you go to my website (click on the signature area), there is a pdf on Michigan with some of the areas (its not as complete -- yet -- as Vermont but there is a good start there).
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .