this weekend??

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

canning

this weekend??

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Hello, we are coming in for our annual leaf viewing and was wondering where the best can be found? We come through Stowe and work our way down to Woodstock. If the leaves are better farther south, we are willing to drive...its always worth it!!! We love country roads and hills. Thanks!!!
oldschool

canning

Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:33 pm

Thank you!! I will try to be a little more specific with routes and then maybe you guys can direct me. I would now like to cross at the Essex-Charlotte ferry towards Woodstock...any recommended routes?? Then, up to Stowe/montpelier region and north to home....thanks again!!!
oldschool

canning

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:23 pm

Can anyone tell me what is a more scenic route...12 or 12a between Randolph and Northfield? Thanks!!
oldschool

MrBumps

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:50 pm

I cycle 12 and 12a regularly. I like 12A the best. It's a bit longer, but a little more scenic. When you go through Roxbury, you can take a side detour up Roxbury Gap if you have the time. Also, when you get to Northfield, take a ride up Turkey Hill Road for some great panoramic views.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:35 am

I agree with Mr. Bumps on the 12A. Very nice drive.

Mr. Bumps: is the Roxbury Gap you are referring to the same as Roxbury Mountain Road starting from Warren's Camp Brook Road? If so, that drive is awesome. I've decided that driving the Roxbury Mt. Rd. INTO Warren is better for viewing than coming out of Warren. When we took it out of Warren it was hard to keep looking back and stopping the car on the side of the road for pictures alittle dangerous at times! :roll:

That is a must do for next year for everyone. I think I put it on my post entitled Long Views buried in the forum somewhere! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

MrBumps

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:50 am

Yes, I don't have a map handy, but I think the road is called Warren Mountain Road on the Roxbury side (from 12A), and then it's called Roxbury Mountain Road on the Warren side (beginning in East Warren)!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:19 pm

Yes, now I remember the road has different names on either side! Nonetheless, that road is awesome for views!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot