Had a Nice Day Trip in Mass / Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

GIC

Had a Nice Day Trip in Mass / Vermont

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:03 pm

I could see at 5am that it was going to be really clear day. From my bedroom window I could see the moon, stars and some planet just a crystal clear as could be. Of course the weather report helped as well. With that wealth of information at hand I decided Day Trip!

It was great day with super clear blue skies so I decided a little journey through Mass and Vermont would be a good idea. No, excellent idea.

My intentions were to head to Adams, Ma. where there is a very nice outlook over the town of Adams, Ma. and into Southern Vermont, then head North to Bennington, Vt.

I took Rt 2 out of Fitchburg / Leominster around 6:15 am and headed toward Adams, Ma. The foliage was actually fairly decent up to Turner Falls Ma. then mediocre up to Rt2 / Hwy 91 intersection. I continued on Rt 2 West and the foliage deteriorated to the point that I decided to take Rt 8A North to Vermont. I found that Rt. 8a revealed some nice foliage and object shooting. On Rt. 8a I encountered variety subjects to shoot such as a small water fall, frost covered meadows, horses, cows, goats, dogs and oh yes a new covered bridge, maple stands and some nice farm land landscapes. Found all that from 8A Ma/Vt to Jacksonville, VT, which is located on Rt 112. I imagine the foliage will soon be gone in a few days on Rt 8. Leaves are falling at a fast rate, which was nice to see on the road. From Jacksonville I took Rt 100/Rt9 to Wilmington. I wanted to visit Adams Farm located north of Wilmington off Rt 100 North. My Lord! At Wilmington there must have been a leaf peepers convention in progress. “Columbus Day Holiday traffic”. Rt100 South was backed up for a few miles at the entrance to North Wilmington. I quickly evaded that mess by taking some back routes that I knew of and skipped Adams Farm. I took, I think Adams Rd. to Whites Rd. At Whites Rd there is spectacular view of Mt. Stow mountain range. I visit there ever year. The view is well, like I said, spectacular. I was some what disappointed to see that the foliage was almost gone all along the Mt Stowe range. Appears wind raked havoc and blew a lot of the tree leaves away. The wind must have acted like blow dryer on some tress and made maple crisp out of them. None the less I thoroughly enjoyed the view. I eventually head back to Rt. 9 East to Hwy 91. I took Rt. 9 from Wilmington to Brattleboro and just did not seem to have much going on until I arrived at Hogback Mt. At Hogback Mountain there is a 100 mile view, which you can see Massachusetts, New Hampshire and of course Vermont. The foliage looked great from that point. Of course the must have been a Leaf Peepers convention there as well. That is another site I take in every year. From Hwy 91 South to Rt 2 East displayed some nice foliage, but nothing to really write home about. I really could not pay that much attention to the foliage because of road construction that started right outside of Brattleboro. That created a traffic mess. Two lanes down to one lane with holiday traffic can make you mentally tired. I decided to head back around 2pm to the hacienda before traffic got worse. I will soon put up some pics of my day trip.
Be careful out there.

http://gic-images.smugmug.com/Other/Mas ... 9089_7Kj3U

GIC
Last edited by GIC on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:29 pm

GIC: Sounds like a wonderful day trip! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your escapade around the area and escaping the traffic of the holiday weekend. I know the two roads you took too. I've always wanted to go to Adams Farm. I hear it is lovely and they have great hayrides and sleighrides in winter that are heavenly!

Is the 100 mile view on 9 peak? Do you think it will hold up for the weekend?

I've taken route 8 before and when I did a few years ago, the trees were bare just around this time. But it still is a nice drive. I think many parts of New England got hit hard with the winds. Too bad.

Glad you had such a great day. I can't wait to see your photos!!!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

GIC

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:50 pm

The link was bad. Humm.
Here it s again.

http://gic-images.smugmug.com/Other/Mas ... 9089_7Kj3U

GIC

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi GIC! Loved your photos! My - you are so talented! My favorite of course? Well..... since I am a horse lover, I liked "My Better Side". Also, your fog pictures are really nice and I know Carol will love them!

Many of your photos contained great color! For example, the boat picture. Very eye catching!

It looks like you had a successful day despite the traffic issues and wind damage on some routes.

I looked at your link three times and then realized my dinner was burning on the stove! :shock:

Great job! Hope to see you at a future meet-up and would love to see some of your Mass. pictures as the color is starting to come on in my area quickly because of the cold weather.

Brrrrr! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot