5 days in VT starting 9/27-- where to go?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Diane

5 days in VT starting 9/27-- where to go?

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:16 pm

Hello -- we live in the desert of New Mexico and have never been to Vermont. Will be arriving in Manchester, NH on Saturday 9/27/03. Will spend the night there and then head for Smugglers' Notch (near Stowe). What should we see in Southern Vermont before heading north for the rest of the trip? Have heard that Hwy 100 might be the way to go. Want to stop in Woodstock. It is worth swinging over to Bennington at this time? Where will the leaves be the best? Love to hike.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Diane

GIC

Re: 5 days in VT starting 9/27-- where to go?

Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:14 pm

You are to arrive in Manchester, NH on the 27th of September and plan to be in Vermont on the 28th.
Leave Manchester - Take Hwy 89 to Vermont. Take Rt. 4 East. On Rt.4 stop at Quechee Gorge “Vermont’s Little Grand Canyon” view will be absolutely beautiful. Stay on Rt. 4 East and visit a few covered bridges on the way, as well Rt.4 will take you through Woodstock. Exit Woodstock via Rt. 4. Follow Rt.4 until State Rt. 100 North. Follow Rt.100 North up to State Rt. 108 to Smugglers Notch.
Plan on leaving early morning and arriving late to Smugglers Notch. You will have a full day of viewing foliage. As for the foliage, I was just in Woodstock yesterday, Sunday the 22nd. There is some minor color change. By the time you arrive in this region you will see the "start" of some good color. As you head onward north to Smugglers Notch you should be in perfect conditions for great fall color.

One last thing. I’m not sure of the drive time from Manchester to Vermont nor of the weather conditions. If for some reason you become pressed for time while on Rt. 100 take Rt. 107 prior to Stockbridge over to HWY 89 and head north to Smugglers Notch.

pwt54

Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:20 pm

Bennington will not have much color at that time. The best color will be around Smuggler's Notch and northeast of there. Route 100 is a great ride. GIC's suggestion is a good one. Get off exit 1 in Vermont. As far as hiking goes, the Long Trail goes to the top of Mount Mansfield from route 108 near Smuggler's Notch. Where are you staying ? Rooms will be getting hard to find soon.

Diane

Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:41 pm

So glad I found this site before we left. Your suggestions are great. Will be printing them before we leave.

We will be staying at Smugglers' Notch Resort, in one of the the Sycamore timeshare buildings. Did an exchange thru RCI almost a year ago. In talking to the Resort a few days ago they told me they have quite a few vacancies, which surprised me.

Really looking forward to seeing Vermont.

Diane

pwt54

Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:53 pm

Best color will be northeast of Smuggler's Notch. Take route 108 north to route 109 north. do route 109 north to the end and turn left onto route 118 north. Take route 118 to route 105 in Berkshire. Turn right and take route 105 south to Enosburg Falls. Take route 108 south from Enosburg falls back to Smugglers.