Woodstock area?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

Woodstock area?

Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:46 pm

Anyone know how it is looking up there? How it will be this weekend?

Some silly part of me wants to also go to the Jenne Farm on Monday to take pictures of.. the photographers. ;)
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ixl

Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:02 am

Thanks mm. Not sure if I am going to make it or not but appreciate the report!
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

PhotoOp

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:26 am

I was in Woodstock area and also E. Corinth/Waits River an then on to Peacham yesterday. Color was good but as mmvt mentioned many leaves have dropped. On my way to my first stop (Jenne Farm) I was wondering if I would see any leaves on the trees since I saw so many on the ground. Also the day was extremely cloudy. I saw a nice sunrise on the road on the way up and didn't really see any sun until the end of the day in the Peacham area, so white skies and no nice shadows, etc.

I spoke with a couple of photogs at Jenne farm and they told me they stayed in Woodstock Wednesday night that the wind caused many leaves to fall. It was worth the trip for me. I thought that the best shots were from Jenne farm, Sleepy Hollow farm, Hillside Acres and Peacham. I missed a few of the Kaplan views off the "Ridge Rd".

I had a very long day yesterday and haven't even looked at the photos yet, but if it will help I can post a few so that you can get a look at the conditions.

Jack

lirwin13

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:22 pm

I took this one a couple of years ago at Jenne Farm:

Hoping to get back there for sunrise tomorrow if the weather is good enough...

MrBumps

Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:35 pm

We were in the Woodstock area today and for the most part, I thought things were a bit blah. The leaves are falling fast, and many times today we found ourselves being "rained on" by leaves. Jenne Farm looked pretty good. The big maples are orane and were still pretty full of leaves. Cloudland Road was pretty good also. But overall, I thought most of the Woodstock, Hartland, Pomfret areas were a bit drab. A lot of it was from loss of leaves. Going to hit the Peacham area tomorrow and se how that looks.

Here's a shot from Cloudland Road Today

And another from Joe Ranger Road in Pomfret

PhotoOp

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:11 pm

I agree, on the subdued colors and also very white cloudy skies for most of the day. Here are a few from Thursday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saolfada/s ... 433750259/

There are a few dups since I was trying out my new Olympus E-P1 along with the dslr.

Jack

lirwin13

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:16 pm

Nice photos, PhotoOp. Looks like you were able to get some good ones despite the clouds!
MrBumps - looks like we're swapping days. I'm planning on the Woodstock area tomorrow morning, and was up in the Peacham area today. The drizzle all morning (and cold temperatures!) didn't lend itself to many good photos. I agree that it appeared to be "raining leaves" quite a bit, and saw a lot of leaf drop. However, there are some good pockets of color to be found. This one was taken along Danville Hill Rd. near Cabot:

This was was along Blanchard Hill Road in Barnet:

Hopefully the weather will cooperate more tomorrow!

MrBumps

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:53 am

Unfortunately, it looks like high winds Sunday and Monday. Hopefully some of the leaves will hang on. There are always some good pockets of color to be found. I took this shot in 2008 in Reading (Caper Rd) on October 17th. I checked this same spot yesterday, and both the big maples in this shot are still almost totally green! As late as in was in the foliage season, it's my favorite shot from last year.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:45 am

You all have some great shots!

PhotoOps: I recognize many of the locations in your photos. Even with the so called "blah" colors, I really enjoyed them all. That was Harvey's Mountain right? What a view there!

Laura: Danville Hill Road is one I go back to many times. Doesn't that long view just "wow" you??? Next year I want to go to the Danville Outlook.

Mr. Bumps: I see you are a horse lover. Went to your website and enjoyed those photos immensely. Your last photo of the horse against the foliage tree was an eye-catcher! Loved it! By the way, where do you ride? Do you have your own horses?
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

PhotoOp

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:18 pm

Thank you CT. I was hoping of course for the best color possible, but I really enjoyed the sightseeing and shooting experience. I started in Woodstock/Cloudland Rd then onto E. Corinth/E. Topsham/Waits and finished in Peacham. It was a very long day but well worth it.

I went with the "Yellow book" and Andy's doc for locations and helpful advice from the sov members, all of which were invaluable. What an Outstanding group of people here!!!

I am not sure which photo you're referring to since this is the first time I have ever been in the locations that I visited. I named the files with the location so if you check the option to see that will verify the location of the shot.

Jack

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:34 pm

PhotoOP: I stand corrected. Hillside Acres looks a lot like Harvey's Mountain from afar. Both are beautiful! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

MrBumps

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:52 pm

CT, I am a horse lover. I do ride, and I have a Tennessee Walking Horse, Black, 16.2 Hands. I just ride around the back roads and woods trails right from the house. I live in Tunbridge, VT and try and get down to the fairgrounds during the summer when they have horse events, so I can photograph the horses.

Laura, I thought the colors in Peacham were nice today. I hit Danville Hill Road today, and took this shot very close to where your shot above was taken. I was blessed with some great light at the moment.

Andy

Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:10 pm

Hi Rich! Great to see you finally found your way over here. I hope you will bookmark and regularly contribute. Note that we have Photography Forum too. I have the dubious distinction of being moderator there. I hope you will find time to sneak over there from time to time and add some of your talent there.

Rich is a "friend" from another photography forum that has a New England States section. He is a regular contributor there and one of the most talented photographers I know. He is also a native Vermonter and will be a great addition here. As you can see, his images speak for themselves.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:28 pm

You folks are right about the weather hurting the foliage. I'll bet that the weather of last week chopped a fews days off the prime foliage viewing season this year. From what I saw today, I'd have to say that the Champlain Valley in western VT, west of routes US 7 & 116 and south of Burlington would be the best area to leafpeep. The Connecticut River Valley of eastern VT should be good also, but I'm not sure how far north from Brattleboro will be good because i haven't been there yet. I'll try to check it out this week.

lirwin13

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:42 am

I drove Rte. 100 yesterday from Waitsfield down to Rochester. Big difference in the foliage. There was still quite a bit of color in the Waitsfield area (not peak, but not too far past), but by the time I got to Rochester, it was more sticks than color. Drove over Bethel Mtn. Road and on the other side, there was still quite a bit of green on the trees. Woodstock area was past peak, but again, still some color to be found. I don't think I have ever seen as many photographers at Jenne Farm as there were yesterday - about 35!