From TX to VT October 3-6

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

stacee

From TX to VT October 3-6

Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:08 pm

We want tp fly in, stay somewhere cheap, maybe even camp...plan to hike, photograph, finish a chapter or two in my novel which is set in VT.
Any suggestion welcomed, we'll be making flight arrangements next week and then based on the price of flights, we'll decided where to land. We want to do a lot of walking through leaves, taking in the true VT experiecnce and see where it all goes. WE have been four times from TX to Vt, 3 times we drove 36 hours STRAIGHT, stopping only for gas and food. WITH # KIDS UNDER AGE 5!! THe last time we flew to philly and drove from there.
So...is OCt 3-6 toolate,,,,any trips on where to stay, cabins/state parks of, nothing special. IDEAS?? SUGGESSTIONS??
SM

gmaddox

Re: From TX to VT October 3-6

Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:58 am

Hey stacee, my wife and I are driving up leaving on Oct 3rd. We have reservations already in Brattleboro. We'll be there on the 5th and staying for a week. Hope ya'll enjoy your trip. Like you, I hope it's not to late and that the hurricane doesn't blow all the leaves off.

stacee

Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:26 am

Is this your first trip to VT? It is a very long drive but well worth it. One trip we drove for 36 hours, stayed two nights and drove back. Quechee Gorge is nice, Lake Champlain, if you have time, drive to the Northeast Kingdom, smuggler's notch, and Stowe. Woodstock is great too. VT is such a small state, you can see so much in a short trip. We like Sugar and Spice in Rutland for a VT breakfast and there is a great pizzariea just outside of Stowe. and no billboards, yay! This time we are flying due to time constraints, but I cannot wait until our next long road trip. Have a great time. And let's hope the hurricane does "leave the leaves alone". We have been mid Oct as late as the 19th and still seen great color. We have also seen snow on Halloween and were really unprepared for the cold!
SM

Okie

Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:06 am

What's the name of the pizza place you're referring to?

stacee

Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:15 pm

pie in the sky is in Stowe I believe.
There is another around morrisonville, I cannot remember the name of it, but it is right along side the main road through that area, outside tables and small inside seating, really cozy...I wish I could remember the name of that place...anyone know?
SM

pwt54

Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:58 am

Central Vermont should be peak at that time. Look to stay around route US 4 to be in the middle of the best foliage. Find any room , let alone cheap will be very difficult. Vermont has been known to run out of rooms especially on Columbus Day weekend. The Long Trail crosses route US 4 between Killington and Rutland. Good hikes on that trail.