Oct. 12 - Brattleboro

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

jmamja

Oct. 12 - Brattleboro

Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:51 pm

This is the BEST site I have ever seen for VT foliage information. I therefore respectfully request any information one could give on where to go the days of October 12th to the 14th. We are staying in Brattleboro, where we absolutely love it. Also, any good ideas on where to take some good fall pics? Thanks to any and all who can help me.

deaner1971

Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:23 am

I made up a drive for some people so if you are up for a whole day of photo, enjoy if any part of it sounds good, glad I could help. Anyone's criticisms or comments welcome.

Drive up the 30 along the West River. The river can make for some nice photos by itself. Then stop in Townshend for some photos of the village.

You can stay on 30 through when it merges with 100 and you'll come to Jamaica State Park. There you can photograph the falls (a shortish and moderate hike) or just walk about.

Stay on 30 (100 will split) and take a left on Stratton Mountain Road and take it to the top. On your right will be Stratton Village (the shops for the resort), walk through them and you'll come to the gondola. The 12th is the last day for this but you can ride it to the top of Stratton Mountain and gets some views of the valley. Find the small lookout platform that is a little downhill from the spot the gondola delivers you for the best (in my opinion) views. I believe Snow Mountain offers a similar gondola offering, if you prefer.

Drive back down Stratton Mountain Road and turn left back onto 30 and stay on it until it dead ends into 11 and take a right (be careful as some people like to ignore the speed limit around this area). Look for a good spot and carefully pull over to the right when the view presents itself but you'll have a great view of the valley between you and Stratton Mountain.

Continue until you reach the amusement park area and turn around and head back the other direction on 30/11 (passing the intersection where you had just turned onto 30/11). Stay on the road and you'll head down the long slope and emerge near Manchester. Drive under 7 and drive into Manchester.

If you want to avoid the center of Manchester (it'll be packed throughout the holiday weekend), turn left on Richville Rd. Either stay on Richville as it becomes River Road (Opt.1) or turn right on Union Street (Opt.2).

(Opt.2) If you turn right on Union street, you can drive on up, between the two golf courses, and see old Manchester or just turn left on 7A. You can visit Hildene or continue south on 7A and consider driving up Skyline Drive (there is a fee as this is a private road) to the top of the mountain foew very nice views (if the air is clear. If it is a hazy day, probably want to skip this one).

(Opt.1)If you stayed on Richville, conitnue following it as it becomes River Road and then Sunderland Hill Road. Sunderland Hill Road will cross the Roaring Branch via the Chiselville Covered Bridge. Park on the North side for photos.

(Opt.2)If you are on the 7A, turn right in Arlington onto 313. (Opt.1)If you went to see the covered bridge, back track on Sunderland Hill Road just a bit and turn left onto Laver Road. It will take you to 7A and turn left onto 7A and right on 313.

(Opts.1&2 resume same path)You can briefly exit 313 onto River Road and take some nice photos of the Battenkill River from the bridge. Then just get back onto 313. Or stay on 313 and continue on until you reach another covered bridge (after West Arlington) on your left. Nice photos abound as well as know that this was once the home and studio of Norman Rockwell.

From here you could drive into Bennington (take 313 back to the &A and head south) and get some nice shots from the top of the Bennington Monument, or go up the 7 to Emerald State Park (north of Manchester) for some nice photos. If you go to Bennington, you can just take the 9 back to Brattleboro to conclude your day.

I hope some part of that was helpful. Sorry for the long post but I was already working on the driving tour and thought I'd pass it along.

Dean

pwt54

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:34 am

At that time of the year the color will be fading in the highlands and good in the lowlands. Route 30 should have good color to Jamaica and will be starting to fade as you get higher. Color from Jamaica to Manchester center would be that good but color on route 30 from Manchester north to Middlebury will be good. Other routes that I like in the Brattleboro area are; US 5, 35,44,103,106,121, and 131.