Vermont-Northern NH updates

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Srikar

Vermont-Northern NH updates

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:30 pm

Yesterday's drive: Came into VT via US-4 from the NY side. Early part of US-4 started turning and is far from peak. It got slightly better getting to Rutland. Went to Killington via Rt 100. Rt 100 from Killington to Stockbridge was good and is near peak. Killngton was also very good and should be peaking in 3-4 days. Took Rt 107 to hit I-89. I-89 to Montpelier was good. Should be another 1 week for it to peak. Took US-2 to St.Johnsbury. US-2 has peaked and the fall display was amazing. On the way, we took 232S to Gronton, which was also excellent. We took Peacham Pond Rd, which was amazing. Came back to US-2 and took I-91N and it was very very good with excellent display. Took 114N and that was the best route to take.Took the Burke Mountain Toll Road.It had peaked and the display was breathtaking. Peacham Pond Road and Burke Mountain Toll Road were the best routes in all of yesterday's drive.

Today's drive: Stayed in Island Pond last night and started off today morning. The first 7-8 miles of 114N from Island Pond was simply superb. It has peaked there and this is the time to visit.Most of 114 near Norton Pond was undergoing road work and was slightly frustrating.114 from Norton to NH was also good and is at its peak. In NH, we took US-3 N to the 3 Connecticut lakes. US-3 north of Pittsburg, NH has peaked and the display is amazing. Went to the Canada border on US-3 and returned back. While returning, we took 145S from Pittsburg to Colebrook. This road is also near its peak and the display was great. We took 26 E at Colebrook to Errol. 26 was disappointing in the first few miles, but turned out to be excellent as we went East. it would be another 4-5 days to peak on the eastern side of it.We took 16 S at Errol to go to Berlin. 16S is near its peak. We took 110S as detour to Berlin on the way and this route is also near its peak. Stopped in Berlin, NH for the night.

Will keep you posted as we travel. Plan to go to the White Mountain region and Western Maine if possible and come back to Vermont again on Sunday.

pwt54

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:35 pm

Did you find the stomach turning whoop de do on route 145 near clarksville?

Srikar

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:42 pm

pwt54 wrote:Did you find the stomach turning whoop de do on route 145 near clarksville?
Well, I have to admit that I don't remember it. There has been too much driving on our part in the last 2 days :roll: :roll: :roll:

The only thing I remember well on 145 was Beaver Brook Falls, which were good. :D

pwt54

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:26 pm

Well at least all of this rain was good for something. The Falls were low 3 weeks ago.

GIC

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:37 am

Hey Srikar,
Your right we had to be very close on VT 114. I bet I was part of your frustration. I did not realize the following situation until after the fact. The road crew radio ahead the last vehicle to the other signal (Slow/Stop) guy/gal at the remote end of the road work. Then when last vehicle arrives they let their cars pass by. Remember I did not realize this until after the fact.
There was one long stretch of road work on VT 114, I happened to be the last vehicle. Well of course I stopped to take a few shots, which totaled maybe about 6 minutes (guesstimation)…. As I drive about a quarter of mile I see the road crew of about five or eight of them standing-by with their machinery. I drove by and waved to them. For some reason they looked pretty pissed off. They all were giving me very concerning look. I had my window down to wave at the signal person. As I passed the signal person I heard her say “The Idiot has arrived” over her radio. I’m thinking what was that about? Of course I have to pass by other vehicles waiting to go. Most of them had frowns on their faces. It dawned on me that I was the “Idiot” holding up the road crew and vehicles. Srikar if you or anyone else was in that group I apologize LOL for cusing any frustrations.

Srikar

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:39 am

GIC, I don't think I got stuck up much on 114. So, you need not be sorry for me :D :D :D

What was slightly frustrating for me is, why are they doing the road work in the peak season? Don't they know that these roads would be used the maximun during the fall foliage ? Why don't they do it earlier ? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Andy

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:31 am

:lol: :lol: George! That's the funniest story I have ever read on the forum here! ONLY a PHOTOGRAPHER can appreciate it. If you have ever been out with "non-photographers" and here them say, "how many shots do you need of that?" You get just a small idea of the frustration those drivers must have had. Hope you got at least one keeper.

I think I might have been tempted to ask the crew if I could shoot them with the foliage in the background :twisted:

I am looking forward to seeing some of your stuff when you get home and get it processed and posted somewhere!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .