Foliage & Rooms

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

cindy

Foliage & Rooms

Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:30 am

We will be arriving in Burlington Oct 4th, have our first night there booked. Our itinerary so far is to go to Stowe, by way of Waterbury, up to
Smugglers Notch, Rt. 108, then north to Montgomery Center, Rt.109, go through Hazens Notch
Rt. 58. Read somewhere this is a beautiful drive. Wondering about getting a room around Orleans
and I-91 is there anything there for one night or at Derby Center? We plan to go into the Northeast
Kingdom Rt. 105 to Island Pond and down Rt.114 to
St Johnsbury or a room here if this is not a long
day one. Will be going into New Hampshire for two
nights and then to the coast for one night, back
through New Hampshire to White River Junction for
a night then to Rutland Rt. 4, a night there and
back to Burlington. Which Rt. north out of Rutland
would be better Rt. 7 Rt. 30 Rt 100? This is our
first trip to your area and we are so excited! We
have been planning a trip for a few years but have
been drawn to the Rockies. This year we said NEW
ENGLAND!
Any infro or input we would really appreciate!
Thanks, Cannot wait!
Cindy

pwt54

Re: Foliage & Rooms

Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:57 pm

That first trip will be a long one. Not many places to stay in Orleans. But if you follow route 58 east to the end at route 5A and turn right to go to Lake Willoughby, there are places to stay there. If that don't work out, take route 5A north to route 105. Turn left and take route 105 east to the Derby/Newport area. You might also want to try the B&Bs in Morgan on route 111 east of Derby. You will have to go back to Derby for supper but it's not that far and the colors on rt. 111 were looking topnotch on Sunday. On your question about a good route to Rutland; I'd take route 116 from US2 in South Burlingon down to Bristol. A mile south of Bristol you will come to a 4-way intersection where everybody has to stop. Go straight ahead on route 17 west. When you come to route US 7, turn left and go to Middlebury where you can pick up route 30 south. I hope you have time for all of this.

I lovevermont

Re: Foliage & Rooms

Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:14 pm

Sounds like a great route to me!
One of the best restaurants with local color is Jennifer's in Island Pond. Steak, fresh seafood, specials in a local restaurant with Vermont color and humor can't be beat.

Seymour Lake Lodge at Morgan, Vermont has been written up in Vermont Magazine and even editorials in the outdoor sport section of Mass. papers. They offer a family type lodging in a historical building with family rates and free boats: even an antique shop to linger in..

There are lots of interesting sites in St. Johnsbury with the maple museum and the Fairbanks Museum. The Miss Lyndonville Diner is famous. Ask Zippy, the pinhead.

Take some time to climb Mt. Pigash in Willoughby Lake. This trail is groomed and offers spectacular views of a granite lake much like you would see in Switzerland.

If you still have time visit Burke Mountain or Jay Peak where outstanding views can beheld from the peak. Jay offers the tram-way.

Have fun! You will be back,: everyone else finds their way back to the best kept secret in the Northeast Kingdom