Lewis Pond Overlook

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Aspen

Lewis Pond Overlook

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:10 pm

PWT, Abby and others, for those who would like to view Lewis Pond from the Lewis Pond Overlook but unfortunately are unable to join the Scenes of Vermont Reunion on Saturday, October 3, 2009, without the great guidance of those who know the way, what are the specific names of the Vermont town, routes and roads to use to drive to the Lewis Pond Overlook? Some maps show routes leading to the pond. Map does not specify how to reach the Overlook. Is the dirt road accessible for regualr cars and vans that do not have four wheel drives? For folks unfamiliar with the road, is it safe driving? Approximately how much time in minutes should people allocate for driving the road to the Lewis Pond Overlook? Any signs that guide visitors to this Overlook?
Abby's pictures from the Lewis Pond Overlook are awesome. Hope all who venture down to the Lewis Pond Overlook are in for a very beautiful and memorable experience.
Aspen

pwt54

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:09 am

I use to send folks on the Stone Dam Road because it was easier. But the colors on the Henshaw and Four Mile roads are better. Drive east out of Island Pond village about 1/2 of a mile and look for the Henshaw Road on the left. Turn left onto the Henshaw Road. The road starts out bushy then you come to a wide open area with an old farm. Drive past the farm and the camp and soon you will come to a gate. Drive through the gate and in about 3 miles look for a wooden post on the left side that says the Nulhegan Basin. Take the road across from this sign post, This is the Four Mile Road. Drive this road to the end at the Lewis Pond Road and turn left. Drive the Lewis Pond Road up to the end where this overlook is located.
For you folks that would rather use the Stone Dam Road; The Stone Dam Road is off route 105 in Bloomfield,VT. Take the Stone dam road to the end at the Eagle's Nest Road and turn left. (Warning; somewhere along the line the Stone Dam Road changes it's name to the Canal Road. So if you plan to come back the way you came, look for the Canal Road signpost and not Stone Dam Road.) Drive the Eagles Nest Road to the end at the Lewis Pond and turn right. This will take you to the overlook. When you are done I would drive back and go past the Eagle's Nest Road and in a couple of miles, look for the Four Mile Road on your right. Drive the Four Mile Road to the end at the Henshaw Road and turn left to get back to route 105 in Island Pond. This year any car can drive these road except maybe a lowslung Ferrari.

Aspen

Lewis Pond directions

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Thanks PWT for sharing the Lewis Pond directions. From the many viewers to this thread, the Lewis Pond overlook obviously is an area of interest to many. Do hope that others will be able to locate and enjoy this beautiful overlook.
From my past visits to Vermont, a majority of the most enjoyable, surprising and beautiful places were discovered by accident on the back roads of Vermont. Lewis Pond Overlook is definitely one of those places few will find unless they check this forum or know someone who has been there!
One early morning, in 2005, my husband and I ventured out from Stowe to see some of the covered bridges. We made a wrong turn onto a dirt road which followed, what later, I learned from PWT was, the Lamoille River. It was so beautiful that my eyes welled up in tears. It is the kind of scenes you read about. Several painters had their easels setup; painting scenes along the river. Farther down the road was the most beautiful pasture dotted with black and white cows.
What I want to emphasize is for others following this Vermont Foliage forum and planning to visit Vermont is if you make a wrong turn, you may be heading towards something unexpectedly and beautiful. The back roads are so beautiful. Enjoy your drive and if you really get lost, those who have a GPS will not be lost for long. Also, so many kind folks will show you the way. Often people offer help before you even ask in Vermont! They look out for their visitors and are very proud to share their state!
Thanks PWT for sharing and guiding the way to another Vermont gem!
Aspen

ixl

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:41 am

Is the overlook on one of the two roads that runs next to the pond as shown on the map?
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:06 am

The Lewis Pond Road runs along the east side of the pond. The road on the west side is the Tim Carroll Brook Road. That road is very rough past the camps.

faxmachineanthem

Re: Lewis Pond directions

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:44 am

Aspen wrote: One early morning, in 2005, my husband and I ventured out from Stowe to see some of the covered bridges. We made a wrong turn onto a dirt road which followed, what later, I learned from PWT was, the Lamoille River. It was so beautiful that my eyes welled up in tears. It is the kind of scenes you read about. Several painters had their easels setup; painting scenes along the river. Farther down the road was the most beautiful pasture dotted with black and white cows.
Well, we're going to need the details on how to get there now. :)

Aspen

Jeffersonville/Johnson (18 mile loop)

Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:17 am

In response to Faxmachineanthem's need for directions "to get lost" :lol: on a beautiful dirt road that follows the Lamoille River in Vermont, trying to backtrack our drive in 2005! We believe it was the Hogback Road in the vicitinity of Jeffersonville and Johnson, Vermont which on a map follows the Lamoille River. We were in the Jeffersonville and Johnson sections of Vermont that morning looking for covered bridges.
In 2005, after our trip, I mentioned this beautiful dirt road along a river; it was PWT who brought to our attention he thought we drove along the Lamoille River. PWT, this is in your neck of the woods, so you may want to assist with directions.

For a route that IS listed in my 10th edition of Vermont: An Explorer's Guide by Christina Tree & Sally W. Johnson (12th edition is out now) , it just may be where we drove in 2005.

Jeffersonville/Johnson (18-mile loop)
From the junction of Routes 15 and 108, head north on Route 108, but turn onto Route 109 ( note Poland covered Bridge on your right) Take your first right, Hogback Road, which shadows the north bank of the Lamoille river most of the way into Johnson. Return via Route 15.
Aspen

faxmachineanthem

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks very much Aspen, it's now on the list for next week.

pwt54

Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:37 pm

If you are driving west on route 15 from Johnson to Jeffersonville, the Hogback Road is just past the Forget Me Not Shop and on the right side. A good spot in Johnson for long views if you mind driving a dirt road is Clay Hill. For this you need to take the street beside the white church with the town clock, Pearl Street. Drive over the temporary bridge and continue straight up the hill, At the top of the first hill you will have a nice southwest view on the left. But it's not the best view. Continue to the end of the pavement and drive straight. In almost a mile you will come to a plateau with a farm on the left. Here you will have views to the south and west. If you drive up to the first right, the Ben Ober Hill Road, and take that you will have a southeast view. This road end at route 100c as the Mines Road.