Foliage/Waterfalls

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

IndiGluon

Foliage/Waterfalls

Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:22 pm

Hello,
I am planning to stay in Chittenden from Oct 2 to Oct 5. Apart from driving along scenic routes I am interested in locating trails that lead to waterfalls.

What would be the best drives and where can I find trails that lead to waterfalls with rich foliage during my visit?

Also, is there a chance to spot wildlife during this time?

I lovevermont

Re: Foliage/Waterfalls

Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:15 am

Hi, There is a waterfall in Troy, Vermont called the Troy Falls . There is also a waterfall in Willoughby Lake on the road with state hiking trails.

admin
Site Admin

Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:34 am

Another nice waterfall is the Choiniere- Willoughby Access outside Orleans. You can walk right out onto the rocks. See the waterfall in this panorama (if you have QuikTime). The following url gives directions as well.

http://www.scenesofvermont.com/qtvr/choiniere/index.html

pwt54

Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:28 pm

I hope the webmaster don't mind, but here is a site that lists waterfalls in Vermont. I've been using this site to make up a list to hand out to folks who stop at our rest areas but haven't finished yet.
http://www.neuswaterfalls.com/vermont.html
As far as foliage, you are going to be right in the middle of the best foliage where you are staying.

admin
Site Admin

Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:40 pm

That's quite a list! What would reckon is the most spectacular if one were to take a panorama?

pwt54

Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:23 pm

I really couldn't say. I've only seen a few of them. The Falls of Lana down by Lake Dunmore is one of the best, but I don't know how easy it is to do a panorama of it. I was up to Big Falls in Troy for my yearly visit. The falls themselves are alright. It's the surroundings that make it nice. But you would have to wade out to an island of rocks below the falls to take a good photo. In the 1930's some one stole my Grandfathers car, stripped it and dumpped into the river just above the falls. That's why I visit every year. If you find it let me know.