The Full Corn Moon is Just Magnificent Tonight!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

The Full Corn Moon is Just Magnificent Tonight!

Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Carol just reminded me to go look outside. The full moon is just outstanding! On a clear, warm evening it is just a sight to behold! I hope you have a nice evening to view it as well. I did some googling and found out the Corn Moon is often the Harvest Moon. Here are the descriptions from the Farmer's Almanac:

(I posted this because it relates to the harvest and our autumn season arriving soon. And because basically, I am just in awe of nature and this beautiful sight out there tonight.)

No wonder I've been feeling a little kooky lately! :shock: :roll: :wink: I'm half packed for Vermont and it's still four weeks away!!! :!:

Full Corn Moon - September This full moon's name is attributed to Native Americans because it marked when corn was supposed to be harvested. Most often, the September full moon is actually the Harvest Moon.

Full Harvest Moon - October This is the full Moon that occurs closest to the autumn equinox. In two years out of three, the Harvest Moon comes in September, but in some years it occurs in October. At the peak of harvest, farmers can work late into the night by the light of this Moon. Usually the full Moon rises an average of 50 minutes later each night, but for the few nights around the Harvest Moon, the Moon seems to rise at nearly the same time each night: just 25 to 30 minutes later across the U.S., and only 10 to 20 minutes later for much of Canada and Europe. Corn, pumpkins, squash, beans, and wild rice the chief Indian staples are now ready for gathering.

Enjoy! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

GIC

Corn Moon

Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:52 pm

Well I don't know about Corn Moon, but the moon was huge as it was coming up over the horizon, glowing yellow to orange in color . The Corn Moon was magnified for around 2 to 3 minutes with its silly face on. I was not able to get a shot of it. Was on the Hwy. I always carry my cameras with me. For some reason I feel a little naked with out them. Funny at least 3 of us saw it. I will be ready tomorrow night to try and get some shots in. Corn Moon....I like that. Learn something everyday.

Man I have the autumn fever! All indictors look great thus far for great fall color. I already can see the red tinge in some of the weak of the weakest trees. LOL I’m already taking pictures of single red leafs. That is a bad sign. Oh well time to turn in and dream of a crisp colored autumn day.
Next Morning: Had a nightmare...Oh God! I forgot to take my extra camera compact flash memory card with me on my dreams. Reminds me I better get my check list ready. Island Pond is at least four hours away. No room to turn around for forgotten items.

If anyone got a shot of tonight’s Corn Moon please put it up somewhere for us to see.

Good Night and Sweet Autumn Dreams

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:55 am

Oh these blessed September days are to be cherished! So gorgeous out this a.m. There's nothing like a very early morning walk in this cool, autumn air! The excitement is building! :D

GIC: can you try to get some shots of the Corn Moon tonight and post them? I'm sure there were many who saw it and would love to view it again!

I guess the rule of thumb is to keep your cameras with you at all times! :wink:

Enjoy this unbelievable stretch of weather!

I for one, am in my glory!
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

GIC

Corn Moon

Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Well Corn Moon almost tried to sneak by me. I set up camera about 45 degrees in wrong direction. Was talking to a family member and just happened to look to my left and saw the big orange ball coming over the horizon. The atmosphere really played games as you will see. It was an awesome veiw as dusk came to an end. I even had to but a jacket on as it was cool out. Hope you like them.

Corn Moon Horizon

Corn Moon Just Above Horizon

Corn Moon Partial Sky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:51 am

GIC: Those photos are amazing! Thank you for putting them up! It got somewhat cloudy here by evening but when the full moon came up, it was skirting in and out amongst the clouds and gave an eerie glow to the sky. It reminded me of a Halloween night! And yes, it was soooo cool out all of a sudden. The moon should be almost 100% as well this evening.

Did the atmosphere give it that orangy glow when you took the photo as it was coming up over the horizon?

I hope we have a clear night for the reunion weekend for the Harvest Moon to make its appearance! 8)

GIC

Corn Moon

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:12 pm

I took some shots of Corn Moon tonight. There was an overcast which made for some interesting shots. Please visit my web site. Just click on the link below. Once there select Slide Show in upper right corner. I rarely take shots of the moon. I had fun doing it. Enjoy !

http://gic-images.smugmug.com/Nature/Co ... 5425_bNTyf

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:43 am

GIC: these are just beautiful! Folks, there are 37 images worth looking at but he saved the best for last! Perfect image!

Do check his website for some great shots of Corn Moon. They have an eerie glow to them and now I'm ready for Halloween! 8)

I also enjoyed the rest of the photos GIC. Loved your foliage pictures! Well now you can ready yourself for the full moon on reunion weekend! :shock: