Vermont from Oman

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

jaspal

foliage meter

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:57 am

Hi,

we are planning a visit from Oman (Middle east) to Vermont for the fall. Heard great stories about the place and want see it up and close.

we are planning to reach on 5th october and stay till 8th morning - is this a good time - staying in colchester and williston. is this a good place to stay ?

what are the local events that we can be a part of ?

regards
Jaspal
Cheers
Jaspal

Andy

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:26 am

Hi Jaspal: I removed this post from the Blog Content Announcement Thread. That thread is limited to the topic of the SOV Blog (you can click the link at the top of this page to go there--please do, and read about Vermont topics).

This will not only keep the thread on topic, but you are much more likely to get useful and quick responses this way.

Thanks for visiting us here and I hope your Vermont trip is rewarding!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:32 am

I'll be the first to respond. Yes, it is both a good time and a good place to stay. If you read the threads here, you will learn that there is no way to predict the single "best" time for Vermont Fall Foliage, but as a generality, this time in October is pretty premium.

Williston is very accessable to some of the really beautiful parts of the state. You can take Interstate Highway 89 toward Montpelier and get off at the Stowe exit and drive north on Route 100. This is a good bet this time of year (though Stowe is crowded). If the fall comes "early" and the color is mostly gone to the North, its hard to go wrong by following 100 south from the same exit until you find some of the color. This will follow the Eastern side of the Green Mountain Range. You can also take 89 further Southeast, if you want to "get there faster."

If you get off at Montpelier, you can go East toward St. Johnsbury and on the way you'll have a chance to go to Cabot, Peacham, etc.

Nearby (to Williston) Burlington has a great downtown and some good restaurants.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:58 am

The way the calender is set up this year, I would guess that peak color will be along the route US 2 corridor east of Waterbury. Andy's suggestion to take I-89 to exit 10 in Waterbury is a good one. I like driving route 100 north to route 58 east in Lowell. Then turn right onto route 58 east and drive that to then end at route 5A south in Westmore. Turn right and drive route 5A south by Lake Willoughby and to the end at route US 5 in West Burke. Turn left and drive route US 5 south to the first traffic light and turn right onto the Steven's Loop Road (route 122). Drive this to the end at route 16 in Glover and turn left. Drive route 16 south to the end at route 15 west in Hardwick and turn right. Drive route 15 west back to route 100 in Morrisville and turn left to get back to I-89. Andy mentioned The Peacham area. This is a great area but most of the roads are dirt roads. If that's okay with you pick a nice day and have fun. The main road to Peacham is paved and you can pick that up by taking route US 2 east from exit 8 in Montpelier to the flashing yellow light in Danville and turn right onto the Peacham Road.