If Alaska is an indicator...

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

autzig

If Alaska is an indicator...

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:11 pm

color in Vermont this year will be great.

I just returned from a vacation to Alaska and the color on the tundra in Denali National Park was spectacular. Even though most of the growth there is less than 3 ft high, the reds and golds were amazing.

I will post some photos in the next couple of days. Just got home tonight so I'll need a little time to get them processed and uploaded to my website.

Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Welcome Back Al! I can't wait to see your photos. They are probably so amazing, there will be no words to describe what you've seen. Try to get them on ASAP! We're all waiting with baited breath! Glad to hear there was some great color and hope it migrates to Vermont!

See you in four weeks! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

autzig

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:43 am

Here are some photos of the Alaskan foliage that some of you have been waiting for.

The color was incredibly brilliant. The reds and oranges are dwarf birch. The yellow bushes are willows. Most of these things are only about 2 feet tall.

Here's another.

And Another:

Mt McKinley offered a great backdrop for the foliage as well. The bright red is bear berry. I was really fortunate. We were told that only about 30% of the visitors to Denali see the mountain. We saw for three days in a row. Notice the snow covered mountains in the foreground. These are pretty impressive but next to Mt. McKinley which is 20,320 feet high, they lose a little something.

This photo shows more of the detail of Tundra foliage. The bright red is bear berry, the berries and their green foliage is what they call cranberries, the burgundy color in the upper right is dwarf birch and the stringy white stuff is lichen.

Andy

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:38 am

Hey there Al: I would like to hear more about your AK trip. We just recently booked a Cruise in May. I will undoubtedly follow up in the future, with a land-based trip.

BTW, I am surprised. Where did you find all that blue sky? (I'll bet you "photoshopped" it in, right :lol: ). I am told that, though cold, May is a good time because there is more sun (probably more accurately, less rain) than later in the summer, and we may still have snow on mountain tops.

Great color. I assume I'll miss that with the May trip. Looks like that land-trip may have to be in late August or early Sept!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:40 am

Wow Al, these photos are truly amazing. They gave me the chills! :shock: What scenery and color! You are quite some photographer! I want to go to Alaska now!

I'm looking forward to the rest on your website. Keep us updated please!
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

GIC

"wild color patterns and landscape shots."

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:38 pm

Now that is totally a different type of foliage. Some really wild color patterns and landscape shots. Great pics. After seeing those pics I vote we move the SOV reunion to Alaska! Should we vote on it? Humm LOL I don’t think so. Thanks autzig. Now get that site up!

autzig

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:53 pm

OK, I've updated my website with 15 Alaska photos. The address is
www.goldimagesphoto.com/

I kind of like Charles' idea of the SOV meet and greet in Alaska. Maybe next year. We can't do it in October though because "Termination Dust" usually hits in September. Besides, the color will be gone well before September 15.

Andy, I did not use a Photoshop blue sky. We were so fortunate to get the weather we did. You will notice that many of the Alaska photos don't have sky in them. While we had three days where we saw the mountain, we were there for ten and we saw lots of clouds and rain. Given the photos I was able to capture, I have no complaints.

Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:55 pm

Al: I also loved the photos. Very grand and majestic. I loved the moose! You should have invited him along to the reunion instead of the bear!

You must miss being there. I can see why people fall in love with the beauty. It's almost surreal.

No reunion in Alaska! We have to be true to our beloved Vermont! :lol:

wentworth

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:19 pm

great pics autzig! Alaska is a truly beautiful state--Any shows on Alaska on TV we always watch--hopefully that great "short" color will be a good omen for Vermont's fall this year--we'll find out pretty soon!

GIC

Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:06 pm

OMG! Everyone of those pics are of stellar quality. Man I only dream of taking pics like that. I’m floored.

Great work autzig!

autzig

Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Thank you all for the nice comments about my photos. I think the subject had more to do with the end result than the photographer.

I've added a few more photos to the Alaska portfolio for anyone interested.

Al

www.goldimagesphoto.com

leaflover

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:14 am

Wow! What amazing photos! This has now been added to my "bucket" list of fall destinations that I must see! Was this the last week of August? I've been to Denali before and it's one of the most awesome sights I've ever seen, but it was June.

autzig

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Yes, Leaflover, this was at the end of August, from the 28th through August 31.

It is a great place to visit if the weather is halfway decent.

Al