Vermont Foliage

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

nicholas

Vermont Foliage

Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:31 am

Hi. My wife and I will be traveling to Vermont for a long weekend on October 2nd thru October 5th and we will also be in Vermont October 22nd thru October 25th for our annual New England trip. We also will be in New York City on September 13th and we would like to know if we ventured over to Vermont for that weekend if we would see any foliage? During all of these dates, which areas should we be traveling to and which roads would you recommend we take? It doesn't matter where in Vermont, we travel all over your beautiful State! Also what areas would you recommend to purchase a second home? We are looking for a quaint, quiet, peaceful and eco-friendly town. We just love the whole natural approach of Vermont! We look forward to your foliage reports. Thank you. Jamie & Tara

pwt54

Re: Vermont Foliage

Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:59 am

Foliage on the weekend of September 13 will best in northeastern Vermont and northern route 100. Rooms should be easy to find at that time. October 2 - 5 should be peak from route US 4 and north. Rooms very hard to find except for the very southern part of Vermont because the foliage is just starting. Check around Bennington, Wilmington, and Brattleboro. There will be very little foliage around October 25 except for , maybe, southwestern Vermont. Routes for September; anything north of US 2 and east of route 100 would be nice. The roads are scenic, should have nice color, and are lightly traveled to down right lonely. October 2; route 100, of course, routes 14,110,and my favorite, route 12 all the way through. That section of rt. 12 between is great for color at that time. I also like what I call the "up and over' routes. These would be; route 73 from route 100 to Brandon, route 125 from route 100 to US 7, and route 17 from route 100 to Bristol. Also, if you take route 17 west from Bristol to Addison you can see the snowgeese at the Dead Creek Wildlife area. Dead Creek is on route 17 about 1 mile west of the jct. of route 22a in Addison. It's worth the trip. As far as your looking for a second home that is "quaint and eco-friendly", I don't know. The best thing I can tell you is to get off the main roads. A native Vermonter's idea of quaint will be different than your's. You may want to check that area south of US 2, east of route 14 and north of I-89. Places like Peacham, Thetford, Strafford, etc. Good luck.

Kerry Gough

Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:00 pm

To PWT. You certainly give some good suggestions and information with your impressive knowledge of Vermont. I think I saw a post where you said you are now at a Georgia Welcome Station. I live in Augusta and just wondered if you were at the station here. I go to Vermont every year as we enjoy it more than any place and like to help others enjoy it just as you do. <P>We will be in Woodstock October 3 and 4 and Waitsfield October 5 and 6. Looks like early reports indicate great foliage this year. What feelings does your experience over the past years generate about 2003?<P>

pwt54

Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:25 pm

My welcome center is in Georgia,Vermont on I-89. That is just north of Burlington. I do go through the State of Georgia every spring when I visit my sister in Jacksonville. Savannah is real nice. Foliage this year is right on schedule. The trees that are under stress are turning right now and the colors look go. I've been working for the State of Vermont for 33 years. The jobs I had took me to every corner of the State. My unquenchable curiousity meant that I had to come back and explore every nook and cranny and old beat up road in the State. Now that I have a digital camera, it's worse. So, when you come up this year and see a short Frenchman with a digital camera stuck to his face like a cellphone stuck in everyone elses ear, it probably me.