Finding The Elusive Peak: Does It Really Matter?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Finding The Elusive Peak: Does It Really Matter?

Tue May 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Finding the Elusive Peak: Does it really matter?

Today I was thinking about all my years of foliage travel in Vermont and trying to recall whether or not I had found the “peak” and in what year. First and foremost, it is Mother Nature’s call, but truly a personal and subjective experience as well.

From a flatlander’s point of view, yes, I would say it is very important to me and a highlight of my trip. There is a considerable amount of planning and quite an expense in orchestrating a Vermont fall color tour and I for one, don’t like to be disappointed. I’ll admit it. (Even though I have the advantage of chasing the color all the way down to the Connecticut shore if necessary). Frankly, who doesn’t want to experience nature’s ultimate grand color show? Isn’t that part of what we all hope for when we arrive in Vermont for foliage season? A true Vermont foliage extravaganza? I’ll be the first to acknowledge it’s at the top of my list!

I have found peak in some years. Some years I have not. I have found peak in some parts of the state while not in other sections, all in the same season. Crazy as it may seem, I have even found peak scattered about within the same town or village or in different parts of a single mountain range! Sometimes I hit it and sometimes I don’t!

When I see peak color, my eyes often fill with tears. Pure heart- stopping, breath-taking, jaw-dropping, speechless moments frozen in time. Brilliant dazzling reds, oranges and golds dancing before me as if a kaleidoscope of color has stolen my field of vision.

I have come to the conclusion that, if you do find peak, real or subjective, consider it to be your icing on the cake. After all, you are in Vermont! And what a place to be in the fall!

Some may disagree with my statement, “After all, you are in Vermont”. Many travelers come from afar (even out of the country) and plan months ahead of time to see great fall color in Vermont. This is often their primary focus. Although I am close enough to the state to return at will, I do empathize with folks who come across a “not so great” foliage year or who miss the timing on a “perfectly fabulous” one. It’s happened to me many times and I live right here in New England. I know it can be discouraging. There’s always next year. For those of you Vermonters who have the blessed opportunity to be there when and where it happens, I ENVY YOU!!!

So, what do you do for a backup scenario? Plan ahead! Make an itinerary! Find things to do and don’t obsess over finding the peak! You will lose some of the pleasure of being in the great state of Vermont during the most beautiful season of all!

Hike, bike, horseback ride, visit a country store, take a gondola, tram ride or train excursion, kayak, take a cruise on Lake Champlain, go to a fall foliage festival, stay overnight at a working farm and join in the chores, stop at a farm stand or farmer’s market. The list is endless! And, if you get your “icing on the cake” so to speak, then you have arrived! After all, it’s the big picture that counts!

Enjoy your time in Vermont this fall, and make the best of it! It’s only a few months away! The leaves are waiting for you!

What are your thoughts on finding the elusive peak? How would you describe your “peak foliage” in terms of color?
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

pwt54

Wed May 20, 2009 10:36 am

It's tough for visitors to plan for peak color. They have only a weekend or a week to find the best color. My advice would be to plan on the first full week of October and try to find a place to stay a little above or below route US 2. Peak should be close to route US 2 in the lowlands and along route 100 from route US 4 north to route 15. There should still be great color in northeast VT and the upper elevations.

autzig

Thu May 21, 2009 8:07 pm

CT, interesting post.

When I go to Vermont in the autumn, I'm looking for the perfect photograph. I don't need peak everywhere and for that matter I don't need much of it anywhere. I'm searching for the photograph that includes peak color. I've driven all over Vermont looking for the perfect shot. I have yet to find it but I've been reasonably happy with some of them. Usually I can find a spot of peak color somewhere.

I've arrived in Vermont too early for peak and too late, but I've always been able to find a photograph waiting to be made. Sometimes I've had to search really hard. Peak is great, if you can find it, but good color, with a winding stream and a little fog rising from it will get my juices flowing.

Andy

Sun May 24, 2009 7:52 am

Al's comment makes me think. Interesting--the different perspective we bring to this conversation. I think serious photographers view scenery much differently than "leaf peepers" do (and I don't mean to be offputting with that characterization). By my observation the vast majority of those thousands who pour into Vermont during October are there to see things. A tiny minority of us are there to photograph them.

Photographers have learned to "see" things as the camera sees them. If we don't, we are very disappointed in the result, because a camera lens just doesn't see things the way the human eyes do. Because of that, we are often looking at a different perspective and for that special, magical opportunity. The wonder of a place like Vermont is that there is always that opportunity there even if you are not there during (by whatever definition) peak color. Sometimes, when its not there, we can "make" it happen in photography. I happened to be in the state during perhaps the worst color season in many years in 2005. Somehow, I found a photographic opportunity by photographing a maple leave close and compositing it with a covered bridge photo. http://lightcentricphotography.com/site ... mposite/In 2006, it was better, but still not the "peak" color I remember as a younger person living in the state back in the 70's. But Vermont still gave up some good stuff like my image of the Mad River, which really doesn't have to have foliage to work http://lightcentricphotography.com/site ... r-vt-1/And, (BLASPHEMY!!!!!) Sometimes, "Peak Color" is just OVERRATED. This image (admittedly not taken in Vermont) in my view, would just not have the same impact if there was peak color http://lightcentricphotography.com/site ... e-park-mi/

But that is all from a photography perspective. And one other rambling thought. Sometimes we photographers are so caught up with catching that special image, that we forget to take a deep breath, forget about the camera and gear and just take in (and marvel) at the beauty mother nature serves up!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

leaflover

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:54 am

As I have said to many people, I was initially enthralled with Vermont due to her beauty, but have truly fallen in love because of her character. To someone like me in Texas who still works and finds it hard to get away to spend time in Vermont's autumnal splendor, it IS frustrating to sometimes come in a year when the colors are somewhat muted or my timing is off. I have been to the most renowned churches of the world but would call a Vt forest in fall the most beautiful sanctuary I've ever seen, where I feel close to God. Yes, there are so many ways to find happiness just being in Vermont, and for the times when the colors enrich my soul, I thank God for the "icing on the cake" as you call it. See you in four days, Vermont! With or without your "makeup," I still love you!

Pentaxguy

Point well taken, leaflover

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:33 pm

And with the beautiful steeples of churches rising above the fall colors, it's even more inspiring. Or is that "in-SPIRE-ing?"

As an example, the white steeples in Peacham and Middletown Springs, and the brown steeple in East Orange, add a beautiful counterpoint to the colors of autumn in Vermont.

This forum lets us all share our favorite spots around the state, for which I am eternally grateful.

Rockwall Tim

Back in 1988...

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:08 pm

...I flew from Texas to Albany with a foliage-viewing weekend all laid out in my mind. Woke up on Saturday morning and drove to Weston, only to have it start snowing on me. Drove north to Strafford and found all the leaves on the ground. This wasn't working out!

So I cut my losses and decided to forego foliage. I drove to Cooperstown, NY and visited the Baseball Hall of Fame. Turned out to be an unforgettable visit after all.

My wife and I are coming back this year on October 8 for 3 days. Wish us luck!
II Cor. 4:17

pwt54

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:16 pm

If you are coming on Oct.8, you won't need any luck. You wander around the central part of Vt you find plenty of color. This looks like a good year.