where should we go?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

gilygily

where should we go?

Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:12 pm

My husband and I will be coming to the New England states for approx. 1 week starting Oct. 9. I have been to Woodstock about 15 years ago and LOVED it and want my husband to see it too. That is my only must see at this point. Any must see recommendations? I was also thinking of working our way to Maine but am wondering if this too much in only a week. I'd like to stay in two or three places and move out from there. I would like to make reservations ASAP. Of course, we are focusing in on the fall foliage (who isn't this time of year?!) Thanks for any help you can give!<P>Ann

pwt54

Re: where should we go?

Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:34 am

Woodstock is a great place to start. Good foliage at that time. I'd drive Route 12 from there to Montpelier and check out our Capital's State House. Then go to Stowe and see what's going on over there. Stop at Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Factory on the way. Then take route 100 south to route US 4 east back to Woodstock. In New Hampshire I'd do Route 112 from Lincoln to Conway, route 302 from Conway to route 3 with a side trip in Faybian on the Base Station Road to the see Cog Train going up Mt. Washington. Then i'd take route 3 south through Franconia Notch. A word of warning, The Fryeburg Fair in Fryeburg, Maine should be going on at that time. Fryeburg is just across the border from Conway,NH. Lodging within 30 miles will be hard to find. If you think you may be interested just type in Fryeburg Fair in a good search engine and check them out. Some of the best foliage in Maine is in that area. Tourist season along the Maine coast is about over a that time, so you may want to check that area for good lodging deals. However you do it , have a great time.

Kingatic

Re: where should we go?

Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:07 pm

Oct. 11 & 12th Woodstock is having its craft fair in Bailys Meadow, also in Killington, you can take a ride up the mountain in a ski lift. Awsome way to see the colors. My wife and I will be up at the same time. The Woodstock craft fair is nice, there is also a craft fair in Rutland the same time, never been to it.
M. Kirby