Johnson Woolen Mills: Vermont Clad in Plaid!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Johnson Woolen Mills: Vermont Clad in Plaid!

Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:41 am

http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/ ... _in_plaid/

Johnson Woolen Mills is definately worth a stop! Here it is featured in today's Boston Globe. And this is PWT's home town! We stopped here last fall and I would highly recommend a visit! We got some great clothing of the highest quality. You can find their signature plaid in every form imaginable! For you dog lovers, you will love the pet beds. It is very easy to get to and Johnson and the surrounding areas are simply beautiful! Hope you can stop by here on your Vermont travels...................................
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

autzig

Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:50 pm

I bought a forest green wool coat the first time I visited Johnson Wollen Mills. I love it but it is getting worn out. I always stop in to browse when I pass through. Last time I bought a pair of those mittens where they fold back exposing the fingers. Great for winter photography.

Carol, I have a friend who says that people aren't allergic to wool, only the chemicals used to clean it. Wash you wool stuff in Woolite and you shouldn't itch.

autzig

Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:55 pm

Carol, I'm sort of a wool expert. The friend I mentioned did everything with wool and we helped her. We started with the fleece that needed to be cleaned so we cleaned it, dyed it carded it, and even spun it. Worsted wool uses the long fibers from the fleece. This is the stuff used to make men's suits. Moreno wool is soft as anything. It comes from Moreno sheep. Cashmere comes from a Cashmere goat. Mohair comes from an Angora goat. All of these things are soft and comfortable. The itchy stuff is from cloth made with the short fibers.

Now, go buy yourself a Moreno sweater and you will love it. Of course you can't just wash it and throw it in the dryer but it is well worth the extra effort.