Update on route 30 color from junction 74 to 73! WOW WOW WOW

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Update on route 30 color from junction 74 to 73! WOW WOW WOW

Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:11 pm

Spent a glorious autumn day in Middlebury! Never made it to Stowe, can you believe it!!!! We ate at the Storm Cafe near the waterfalls and had the most amazing lunch! I love Middlebury and only figured on a short lunch visit but we were there for a few hours!!! Shopped in all the stores and I got some gorgeous braided rugs in Ben Franklins!

We headed down route 30 and after a couple of miles, we saw the most incredible reds, oranges and golds in the lower valley to our left! It went on for miles! It started about the junction of 30 and route 74 and continued on to route 73! I almost crashed the van because I was driving and had to keep looking left to view this surreal scenery! It seems like there is a low pocket of land to the east of 30 that stretched for miles and it was like a painting that never ended!

We headed east on 73 and crisscrossed over route 7 to 53 along Lake Dunmore. It was beautiful in the very late afternoon sun. Took another dirt road to the Middlebury Gap and stopped at the Ripton Country Store, Robert Frost Road to his cottage and sat on the two adirondack chairs facing his fields. Just a repeat moment to cherish! We were getting towards dusk and I wanted to get off the gap by dark so we stopped at Breadloaf Campus and then hightailed it off to 100 for a nice, leisurely drive to Waitsfield and our inn. What a stupendous day in warm, beautiful weather! I'm staying home tonight while the others go out and have a great final night in VT!