New Hampshire weekend details and photos

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

wentworth

Postby wentworth » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:14 pm

weather looks good for our stay in Killington Vt--in the 30's every morning, and Sat thru Thur only one sunny day forecast(tues)--so hopefully, all the other days will be bright cloudy days, perfect for foliage viewing--so tues will be the day we go shopping lol--certainly plan to visit New Hampshire White Mountain area and the Kankamagus hwy as well as Rt 3 and Rt 302 Rt 118 etc.

wentworth

Postby wentworth » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:32 pm

ctyanky wrote:I guess we are all in agreement about Carol's awesome photos and I will be waiting for the new ones to appear, esp. Vermont photos! Hurry home from work Carol!!!! :D
--yes hurry! It'll be interesting to see how New Hampshire's blazing colors compare to Vermont's in Carol's opinion--poster neverminda liked NH's colors better but neverminda only saw Rt 114 in NEK, while pwt's Vermont observations were much more extensive ; and after reading pwt's riveting account of Vermont, it seems that actually both states are on a huge roll this Fall

abby

Postby abby » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:05 pm

GIC wrote:My new motto is “Silence the weather man”. The weather reports are why I did not head up there. Was beginning to wonder Abby how it went. No rain LOL and I had you and your group on my mind the whole time, because it poured rain on me every day except Sunday.
It is obvious from your pics how the trip went.
Now I know where Oreo cookies come from.

Those are some very very nice foliage pictures and so are all the others.
Keep those pics rolling in.
GIC

Hi Gic,
While you were thinking of us, I was thinking......."oh boy, Gic is gonna wish he came up here after all!!" You would have loved it and the weather forecast was 100% WRONG!!!!!
Glad you liked the pics. I look forward to seeing more of yours as well.
Carol (abby)

abby

Postby abby » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:07 pm

I put some more photos up in the New Hampshire album tonight if anyone's interested in seeing.
Carol (abby)

DCE Nebraska

New Hampshire weekend and photos

Postby DCE Nebraska » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:28 pm

Those were some of the most fantastic photos that I have observed. Apparently the foliage season is earlier than normal from last year. I made plans to be there from Oct 5-9th and have a concern that much of it might be past as for the NEK and the White Mountains. I generally pick an average time as for the above but I may have missed it some. Last year the foliage lasted much longer. Any opinions from you local New England People about how much earlier the foliage is over what it was last year. It appears to me that it might be a week or 10 earlier. Apparently the frost came much earlier. I usually make WRJ my base so I can go different directions easily. Any advice from you New England people who contribute to the forum.

bvahjen

Great photos!

Postby bvahjen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:37 am

Great pictures Carol. Where is the lake with the old hotel on it?

wentworth

Postby wentworth » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:57 am

abby wrote:I put some more photos up in the New Hampshire album tonight if anyone's interested in seeing.
Carol (abby)
wow and WOW--New Hampshire is looking incredible this Fall

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:51 am

I did routes 112, Bear Notch, 302 and a couple of back roads to route US 2 and then back to VT. yesterday. Eyosah!! 8) Better hurry,folks.

abby

Re: New Hampshire weekend and photos

Postby abby » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:12 am

DCE Nebraska wrote:Those were some of the most fantastic photos that I have observed. Apparently the foliage season is earlier than normal from last year. I made plans to be there from Oct 5-9th and have a concern that much of it might be past as for the NEK and the White Mountains. I generally pick an average time as for the above but I may have missed it some. Last year the foliage lasted much longer. Any opinions from you local New England People about how much earlier the foliage is over what it was last year. It appears to me that it might be a week or 10 earlier. Apparently the frost came much earlier. I usually make WRJ my base so I can go different directions easily. Any advice from you New England people who contribute to the forum.

Hi DCE,
Yes, the foliage is earlier this year. You will be there Oct 5th-9th.......I'm pretty sure it will be past peak in the NEK unless the leaves hang on for a long time like they did last year. Last year I was there on those dates and it was just peaking in the kingdom during that time. The good news is you can easily travel from your location at WRJ to wherever the best conditions are. I will be returning from the NEK on Tuesday the 7th and I will post when I get home so you can look for my post and I'll let you know how things are looking.

Carol (abby)

abby

Re: Great photos!

Postby abby » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:14 am

bvahjen wrote:Great pictures Carol. Where is the lake with the old hotel on it?

That is the Balsams Resort in Dixville Notch NH. It's quite impressive, huh? We parked the car there and went all over the grounds and walked through the lobby to use the facilities. It's a really beautiful place.
Carol (abby)

abby

Postby abby » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:16 am

wentworth wrote:
abby wrote:I put some more photos up in the New Hampshire album tonight if anyone's interested in seeing.
Carol (abby)
wow and WOW--New Hampshire is looking incredible this Fall

Yup Wentworth, NH is looking fantastic, but Vermont is just as impressive. It's certainly turning out to be one for the record books this year!!!
Carol (abby)

abby

Postby abby » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:19 am

pwt54 wrote:I did routes 112, Bear Notch, 302 and a couple of back roads to route US 2 and then back to VT. yesterday. Eyosah!! 8) Better hurry,folks.

I'm planning on leaving Barton before the crack of dawn Friday morning and doing those NH routes PWT, including going through Crawford Notch. Three days away.......the colors should still be great then. I am pinching myself......I can't believe it's here already! :wink:
Carol (abby)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Postby ctyanky » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:24 am

Hi Abby: My sentiments exactly. We'll probably be leaving Friday about the same time. You keep pinching yourself and I can't get to sleep! It is really here!!!!! :lol:

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:47 am

DCE, that WRJ area may be the place to be. It's looking early south fo Route 302. That area northeast of WRJ, east of route 12 and south of route 302 should be peaking about that time. The NEK and the highlands around route 100 may be past peak.

Return to “Foliage Forum”