Full Harvest Moon Shining Brightly Tonight!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Full Harvest Moon Shining Brightly Tonight!

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:09 pm

Has anyone been out to see this magnificent Harvest Moon in the moonlit sky? It is simply gorgeous and makes me feel like fall is around the corner! Temperatures dropping starting tomorrow and I have a good feeling about this season!

If you haven't seen it, go outside and enjoy! This is one beautiful evening!

Fall is on its way! :D :D :D

pwt54

Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:22 am

They are predicting frost this weekend. The furnace will be arriving at 10 AM, so bring it on. :lol:

Andy

Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:43 am

33 degrees in Grayling, Michigan last night (kind of in the North Central part of the Lower Peninsula).

I saw the beautiful moon last night. My wife and I had joined my brother-in-in law, in town for "training" for this week, for dinner at a local restaurant near his hotel. As we drove back into the neighborhood, I remarked, "look how big the moon is tonight." Just shows you how we can make sometimes thoughtlessly stupid remarks.

Her reply: Isn't it always the same size? :lol:

To me, it LOOKED larger than life last night. Alas, too many other responsibilities to photograph it.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:06 am

Hi Andy: You still have a couple of nights to view the beauty and take pictures! :D

I did some research on why the moon appeared so large and it is called "moon illusion". For what it's worth, here is the definition:

"As for the large size of a full moon when seen low in the sky, it is true that the human eye sees a low hanging moon as being larger than one that rides high in the sky. This is known as a Moon Illusion and can be seen with any full moon."

You can bet I'll be outside with all the neighbors again tonight googling at the moon! It was pretty dazzling to say the least!!! I heard that in some areas it had the true Autumn glow!

pwt54

Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:35 am

We had clouds and showers here last night so there was no moon last night. Just as well, I was too busy watching the Red Sox whomp Tampa Bay last night. :D

Andy

Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:29 am

You can bet I'll be outside with all the neighbors again tonight googling at the moon!
Ct: Why don't you just leave your computer indoors? :P
Last edited by Andy on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

wentworth

Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:21 am

Always nice to see the full moon, been watching it rise and reflect nicely off the ocean last few evenings, just gorgeous, and yet another stunning orange sunrise on the ocean again this morning,crystal-clear visibility, with many puffy clouds, lit up orange by the sun--Ever since Ike's clouds left,the sunrises here have been awesome

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:39 am

Hey Andy! You have been in rare form these days! You must be catching fall fever from us "foliage freaks". :wink:

(BTW, yes, I did leave the computer inside while "googling" the moon! And it continues to be amazing! Hope you were able to get some pictures!) :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:45 pm

Has anyone seen the gorgeous "snow moon" out tonight? I can't believe it! So outstanding and bright! Just in case you are interested :roll: here is the list of the names of the upcoming full moons! (And no, I'm not crazy!) :wink: :wink: Just another beautiful nature display that totally astounds me!

The following is a list of the names of the full moon throughout the year: “Wolf” moon in January, “Snow” moon in February, “Worm” moon in March, “Pink” moon in April, “Flower” moon in May, “Strawberry” moon in June, “Buck” moon in July, “Sturgeon” moon in August, “Corn” moon in September, “Harvest” moon in October, “Beaver” moon in November, “Cold” moon in December.

Of course, my favorite is the Harvest moon, wonder why??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

autzig

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:29 pm

My wife and I were commenting on the moon as we drove home from shopping tonight. It rained a lot today in Minnesota but the sky cleared and the moon was shining beautifully here. Our January thaw came a little late but with temperatures in the 40s, we couldn't be happier, especially since there are no hints that we are headed for a new round of super cold like we had in January.

Thanks for your list of Moon names.

Al