Foliage around St. Johnsbury this weekend

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

manoj

Foliage around St. Johnsbury this weekend

Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:55 am

Hello,<P>I will be heading up to St. Johnsburry this weekend, specifically on Saturday the 5th and staying there overnight. Is the foliage going to peak in this area? I might want to rebook if foliage will be good furher South, perhaps in Central Vermont. Also, please recommend scenic drives and good hikes around the area of St.Johnsbury. I am driving over 6 hrs from New York for a day, so I am trying to make make it as good as possible.<P>Thank you.

manoj

Re: Foliage around St. Johnsbury this weekend

Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:39 pm

anyone?

Kingatic

Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:03 pm

You should have a awsome scene to look at.I cant reccomend a trip to take, cause I havent been up that far, but I'm coming up to Bridgewater on the 10th, I know this has no relation to this post, but I am excited! Anyway, you should have splendid colors for your trip. Have fun, and take lots of pics!
M. Kirby

pwt54

Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:52 am

Colors are great and getting better up there. I was up above St. Johnsbury last Saturday and saw some good colors. You should do Lake Willoughby on Route 5A in Westmore. Colors are not the greatest but the lake alone is worth it. As far as routes, take your pick up there. You won't go wrong.

admin
Site Admin

Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:36 am

Foliage in Northeastern Vermont and in high altitutde areas in other parts of Vermont is definitely peaking now. The colors suddenly "popped" a day or so ago. Foliage seems to have started about 10 days late but is moving fast to catch up to its normal schedule. Any back roads north of Route 2 should be guaranteed to provide you some visual treats. <P>I recommend Lake Willoughby, Craftsbury and Burke areas. The unpaved roads around these areas are looking good. Keep an eye on the weather. It isn't good for viewing today, but should clear up as the weekend progresses. Click on the weather link at the top of this page for a seven day outlook. We are just adding this link today!

manoj

Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:10 am

Thank you all for your responses. I actually managed to get a room in a motel in St. Johnsbury area just for Saturday. Should be just fine. Any suggested roots are welcome. Also, I plan to go hiking for a short hike (1-2 hours), can you suggest anywhere to go around there?<P>Thanks.<p>[This message has been edited by manoj (edited 10-04-2002).]

pwt54

Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:35 pm

I just learned that the Lakefront Inn and Motel in Island Pond has some rooms. Call them at 802-723-6507 and see what they can do.

manoj

Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:15 pm

Thanks pwt54. Is Island Pond a better place to be? I currently have a booking in St. Johnsbury, but if Island Pond is a better location, I can change my reservations...Please advise as soon as possible. Thanks again.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pwt54:<BR><B>I just learned that the Lakefront Inn and Motel in Island Pond has some rooms. Call them at 802-723-6507 and see what they can do. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

admin
Site Admin

Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:31 pm

A good mid-way point to stay between St.Johnsbury and Island Pond is the Burke or Barton areas. These areas are also very picturesque. Check the lodging pages on <A HREF="http://www.bartonareachamber.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.bartonareachamber.com</A> and on Scenes of Vermont under Burke. There is also a wide choice of mid to upscale restaurants in these areas.<P><P>------------------<BR> Timothy Palmer-Benson [Mail:tim@pbpub.com]<BR> ** Multi Media web Publishing **<BR> *** <A HREF="http://www.pbpublishing.org" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pbpublishing.org</A> ***<BR>**** Tel:802-895-4295, Fax:802-895-4635****<BR> *****Box 219, Morgan VT 05853*****<BR>___________________________________

manoj

Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:08 pm

pbpub thanks..<BR>i need to decide soon as i am leaving tomm morning! i think my choices right now are the motel in st. johnsburry, and the motel in island pond. i havent called any between St.Johnsbury and Island Pond. i would like to hike a few hours, drive around and take pictures, get some maple syrup, see some lakes/ponds and some mountain views, etc. any suggestions welcome!!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pbpub:<BR><B>A good mid-way point to stay between St.Johnsbury and Island Pond is the Burke or Barton areas. These areas are also very picturesque. Check the lodging pages on <A HREF="http://www.bartonareachamber.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.bartonareachamber.com</A> and on Scenes of Vermont under Burke. There is also a wide choice of mid to upscale restaurants in these areas.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>