Quick Southern VT report...

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

Quick Southern VT report...

Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:10 am

Things are still quite early here in Bennington, in part due to the weather but even when it is cooler we aren't due to peak for a while. My guess is about 10/20 this year.

Route 9 is a different story, with lots of color, maybe even a bit past peak in spots. Definitely worth a drive over.

Route 8/100 south of 9 is also mostly nice.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Aspen

Weston, Vermont

Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:57 pm

Saturday, October 6th, drove down Route 100 as we were departing Vermont. Just before Weston there were lots of bright yellows, bright oranges and bright reds. It was beautiful down there.
We stopped in the lovely Vermont Country Store where you could relive being a lil kid buying "penny candy." This same penny candy today is twenty five cents, fifty cents, seventy five cents and up depending on whatever you bought. To fill a bag with your favorite "penny candy", may have you really emptying tons of pennies from your piggy bank
This morning a four year old grandson dropped by unexpectedly. I thought those wax monster teeth we youngsters loved when we were his age would thrill him! Uh oh, he thought it was weird! For a split second didn't want anything to do with it...and I had a bag full of more weird candy for him.... :roll: So much for generation gaps. But in all reality, I believe it was the child in us that enjoyed the satisfaction of reliving our childhoods! Don't miss this store when driving down Route 100 in Weston, it may take you down Memory Lane!

autzig

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:05 pm

I drove from Concord, NH to Burlington today. My route took me through Woodstock on Route 4 to Killington, up 100 to Waterbury and on to Burlington. Unfortunately, early this morning was drizzly with low hanging clouds so I didn't see a lot of color. I posted a photo of the Quechee Gorge taken from the bridge in the Vermont Photo section. While the color in the higher elevations looked good, the trees at the lower elevations were well past peak. Highway 100 from Killington to Warren was well past peak. The color got much better near Waitsfield. Color seems to vary greatly by area so I don't know where to look for the best color tomorrow.