Are the colors dull this year

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

tremint

Are the colors dull this year

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:41 am

A friend of mine was up in Vermont last weekend and he told me that people there told him the colors this year are a bit dull due to the weather. Is this true?

How are the colors in the areas of East Corinth and E Orange and places near woodstock now?

pwt54

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:17 am

Colors do appear to be duller than normal. Weatherfolks believe that the warmer than normal fall is slowing down color change.

pwt54

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:40 am

Maybe you are, but that don't make you wrong. I've noticed the same thing. HMMM, I wonder if that makes me crazy too? :shock:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:17 pm

PWT and bm: has there been a hard, killing frost up there yet or is one predicted soon????

It is so warm down here in CT I may end up at the beach! They say it is going to get increasingly warm and July-like over the next few days! I'll be up early on Oct. 12th and hope that Central VT is going to be peaking! Is it warm there too? Maybe I won't need my ski jacket and gloves!

Went up to Middlebury in a snowstorm/icestorm in late 80's in mid-October. Do you remember that? Got stuck on route 7 somewhere and had to stay in a motel! Go figure!

pwt54

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:39 pm

There has been scattered frost especially in the Kingdom. I remember that snowstorm. It was mid-October because there still some good color on the Stannard Mtn. Road. There were red, orange, and yellow leaves on the snow. What a sight that was. That snow never melted so there was snow on the ground all the way to April.

Andy

Color and overcast

Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:03 pm

PWT and BM - neither of you are "crazy" (well, maybe you are -- but not re: the colors :) ). The bright sun reflects of the surfaces in many directions which is why it looks duller. A "bright overcast" day gives much more even lighting and the colors will look much more saturated. Thats why bright sun in the middle of the day is not the best time for color photography. I think the best days are those days when the sun is always just on the edge of peaking out and you get some really nice lighting effects.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

admin
Site Admin

Colors

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:32 pm

As you know, I live in the Northeast Kingdom. In the past week or so I have been over to Burlington, over to Stowe and down to Montpelier. Frankly, the colors are quite subdued, almost frizzled. The best color I have seen this year is around Glover and Shefflied Heights. It seems that some leaves haven't changed at all, while others are shrivelled. There's a lot of dark greens, yellows and only an occasional bright red. It is almost as if the color has been delayed. I looked around Montpelier today and the colors above the Capitol dome were just not there.

Axel in JP

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:46 pm

Wouldn't this make three years in a row with poor color? What's going on up there? Is there some kind of lingering problem, like the tree mold issue?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:38 am

Axel: Mother Nature holds the reins. I doubt it is a mold issue. I would say the warm weather is a large, contributing factor. The color will come.

That's why I try to enjoy all aspects of Vermont and plan many things to do and see when I am up there. Great foliage puts the icing on the cake!