My NE kingdom weekend including photos

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

abby

My NE kingdom weekend including photos

Postby abby » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:31 pm

Hi all.
We had a wonderful weekend. We arrived in Barton at 11 pm Friday night. I coduln't wait to run and look out my bedroom window Sat, morning to see the foliage.
Went to Burke fall foliage festival Sat am. From there, drove Victory Road to Rte 102. Followed 102 North to PWT's Lewis Pond overlook. My husband and friends were ready to kill me. We literally drove for 45 minutes on dirt roads in the middle of nowhere. I kept insisting it was going to be worth it. PWT would not let me down. My friends thought it was going to be an ambush and PWT was going to be an ax murderer waiting for us to arrive. Oh my God, it was funny. It gave us a lot of laughs, that's for sure!

Well, we arrived at Lewis Pond (Finally) and it was just a pond. I kept inisisting there would be more beyond. I'm glad they listened to me, and God love my husband for putting up with me.....we drove about 10 more minutes in and found the over look. IT WAS SO WORTH THE DRIVE!!!!!! Thank you PWT for the recommendation. I am including at least one photo here. I have so many more, but it's getting late, I am tired, but wanted to post a bit tonight. I will post more and get more pictures ready tomorrow. I have lots more to tell you about.

i hope this works. Just a minor sample of my pictures are here. I picked the ones that would give a good representation of the foliage for now. I hope you enjoy them.

Try this to see my pictures and view it as a slideshow:

http://picasaweb.google.com/smithcar57/ ... t29And3007

Abby (Carol

ctyanky
Board Admin

Postby ctyanky » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:47 am

Abby: WOW that's all I can say. The overlook is tremendous and your pictures are gorgeous. You got to see moose! PWT certainly knows the way. (Your little narrative was hilarious!) I remember the scene at Lake Willoughby - overpowering. I can't wait to see more and hear more about your trip!

courtmel

Postby courtmel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:34 am

Abby-

I can only echo ctyanky: WOW and DOUBLE WOW! Your pictures are breathtaking. Nothing moves me like my beloved VT. I can't wait to get up there on Wednesday. Do you think the ride up to Lake Willoughby will still be worth it (foliage speaking of course) as we will be based out of White River Junction?

If only I could take pictures like that :) The best is you got to see and take great pictures of Mr. Moose. Isn't he grand?

Can't wait for your next post :D

Thanks for sharing-

Susan in CT
autumn leaf

abby

Postby abby » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:32 am

Good morning,
I just put some more pictures in my album. I was just so excited last night, I wanted to post something! LOL

To go along with what I said last night, PWT's directions to the Lewis Pond were perfect. I had a bunch of doubting Thomas's in my car, but they were happy when we FINALLY arrived there. It boggles my mind that something so beautiful can exist in virtually the middle of nowhere. We have NEVER EVER been on a ride like that before in our lives, and honestly, we will never do it again, but it was well worth it.

We have some new neighbors (here in MA) from San Francisco that we took with us on this trip. They have never seen fall foliage before. It was so special to see and hear their reactions. I was so glad we were able to share it with them. One thing they really wanted to see was a moose. Our other good firends who we bring to VT with us a lot also came on this trip with us. Every time they are with us we never see moose. They think they bring us bad luck because when they're not with us, we see them all the time. Once again, we brought them up along RTE 105 in Bloomfield, late in the day, where we always see moose. We were practically guaranteeing them that we would see one. Of course, none came out. They were all so disappointed.

We arrived at Stephen Huneks dog chapel in St. Johnsbury on the ride home yesterday afternoon. I looked up the hill and saw the moose........just when you would not expect to see one. The moose was standing tall just like a statue. He looked exactly like he did in my pictures. A perfect sillhouette. They actually did not believe me that it was real. I immediatley put my zoom lens on my camera and took off running up the hill towards the moose. They followed me but still had doubts that it was authentic. Suddenly, the moose turned it's head. It was HYSTERICAL!!!! They were all screaming "oh my God it's real"!!!!!!!!! I never ran so fast uphill before in my life. After the moose finally disappeared into the woods we stood on top of that beautiful hill screaming and jumping up and down doing the happy dance. I was so happy for my friends to finally see their first moose. It was priceless!!!!!

This was foliage trip one for me. I am heading back up to Barton in 2 more days (Wed.) and staying until Monday. I will have lots more photos and stories then.

Abby (Carol)

abby

Postby abby » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:21 am

courtmel wrote:Abby-

I can only echo ctyanky: WOW and DOUBLE WOW! Your pictures are breathtaking. Nothing moves me like my beloved VT. I can't wait to get up there on Wednesday. Do you think the ride up to Lake Willoughby will still be worth it (foliage speaking of course) as we will be based out of White River Junction?

If only I could take pictures like that :) The best is you got to see and take great pictures of Mr. Moose. Isn't he grand?

Can't wait for your next post :D

Thanks for sharing-

Susan in CT

Hi Susan, (or courtmel but I still want to call you Autumnleaf) :lol:

Anyways, absolutley do come to Lake Willoughby. It by no means will be too late. The ride up from White River Junctions should be beautiful. I would have to say, and this is just me, so I'm not an official expert, but I would say it will probably peak up in the Lake Willoughby are this week into next weekend. It was NOT peak this weekend, as beautiful as it was, I've seen it when it has been peak.

Don't forget to walk the trails along the Lake. Just stay on the trails where the lake is immediatley to your right as you are heading in. It is not a strenuous "hike" and it is very walker friendly, if that's even a term. :wink: There are just a few kind of steep areas, but they are pretty easy to maneuver. You will get to the beautiful inlet in less than 10 minutes. I'ts sooooooooooo beautiful!!!!!!! You're gonna love it.

Abby (Carol)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Postby ctyanky » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:18 pm

Abby: you continue to amaze me with these stunning shots. They strike a chord in my heart. Does anyone have any doubt why they call this God's Country?

natthapol

Postby natthapol » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:21 pm

Hi Abby, I just registered to this forum and found your post here, the photos look really great. What a find on the moose shot! Awesome.

I am planning to drop by Lake Willoughby next weekend, do you think there will still be good color there?

Thanks,
Nat

courtmel

Postby courtmel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:24 pm

Abby (aka Carol)-

Thank you for your response. Yes, we will be going to Lake Willoughby. I showed my DH your photos and he was amazed. He has always wanted to see a moose. It is kind of an inside joke between us whenever we go up to VT. Your pictures are just great you must be a professional. If not you should be.

Ctyanky-I always call VT God's Country and when I am up there I feel like I am in heaven.

Susan
autumn leaf

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:38 pm

I'm glad you were able to make it up there. The forest service did a great job up there. The signposts made it much easier for me to direct you there. And before they worked on the road I was reluctant to send anyone up there. Last year it was only a sandpit with a narrow view of the Pond.

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:46 pm

I love you moose silhouette photos. Those are the "happy accidents"we photographers pray for.

abby

Postby abby » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:55 pm

natthapol wrote:Hi Abby, I just registered to this forum and found your post here, the photos look really great. What a find on the moose shot! Awesome.

I am planning to drop by Lake Willoughby next weekend, do you think there will still be good color there?

Thanks,
Nat

Hi Nat,
I would think there would still be great color there. The thing about Lake Willoughby is that no matter what color the trees are, it is still stunning. Enjoy your trip!
Abby (Carol)

abby

Postby abby » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:59 pm

Ctyanky and Courtmel (aka Susan aka Autumnleaf),
I'm glad you both liked my photos!
Courtmel, no I am not a professional photographer. I am not even close to one! :roll: I just love taking pictures and I am learning and practicing all the time with my camera. I am taking an on line photography course right now that is a lot of fun. Also, they say when you love your subject, it shows in your photos so when I take pictures in Vermont I can't lose!!!

Carol (aka Abby) :wink:

abby

Postby abby » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:09 pm

pwt54 wrote:I'm glad you were able to make it up there. The forest service did a great job up there. The signposts made it much easier for me to direct you there. And before they worked on the road I was reluctant to send anyone up there. Last year it was only a sandpit with a narrow view of the Pond.

Hi PWT,
Yes, those sign posts were terrific. In fact, my husband was almost ready to turn the car around because he was insisting we had to be on a wild goose chase, when low and behold, out there in the middle of nowhere, we came across the signpost for the first turn on your directions.
They did an incredible job on the lookout. It's too bad they don't have a sign posted at the pond to let people know that there is a lookout up ahead. We actually ran into 2 forest and fisheries police officers when we were at the pond. I was laughing and told them I was happy to see some armed police officers there to protect me because I thought my friends were going to kill me making us drive all that way in there just to see a typical pond that you would see anywhere. They helped to back up my story that there was a lookout up ahead and it was worth the drive up to it. :wink:
Also, yes, the moose sillhouette was a definite highlight for me!

Thanks again PWT for helping to make our trip so special and for giving us a memory that will last a liifetime!

Abby (Carol)

azeez_a

Directions

Postby azeez_a » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:56 pm

I guess I missed pwt's post. Can someone give the link for directions to this Lake? Also, will I be able to see the same colors in the Oct 16th - Oct 22nd time frame in this region?

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:28 pm

There won't be much color up there that late. But here are the directions; Take the Stone Dam Road from route 105 in Bloomfield and drive to the end at the Eagle's Nest Road and turn left. Drive to the end at the Lewis Pond Road. If you want to see the Pond or are bound and determined to get to the Overlook, turn right. Have fun!! If you want to get back to route 105 a different way, drive the lewis Pond road past the Eagle's nest road to the 4 Mile Road. Drive that to the end at the Henshaw Road and turn left. Also, somewhere between route 105 and the Eagles Nest Rd, the Stone Dam Rd changes it's name to the Canal Road. I don't know why. I didn't see no canal there. If you drive the Eagles Nest Rd north from the Lewis Pond Rd. , look for the Canal Rd to get to the Stone Dam Rd. If you drive north past the Canal Rd you will end at a "T" intersection. Oops, almost forgot. There is a big rock sticking up on the Stone Dam Rd about 1000 feet from route 105. You can drive around it okay.

Return to “Foliage Forum”