Yeah! 3rd trip to Vermont on tap! So. VT. foliage inquiry??

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Yeah! 3rd trip to Vermont on tap! So. VT. foliage inquiry??

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:28 am

Get to take some more Californians to Vermont on Oct. 20 and 21. We are staying in Wilmington. What do you think we will encounter as far as foliage this late in the game? I've never gone to VT this late but guests not arriving until 10/19. I've packed the schedule with many diversions as far as towns and some lower loops but they are inquiring about foliage. Is the western spine on range near Bennington a good bet on color this late? Any suggestions are most welcome. :lol:

pwt54

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:42 am

Except of Oaks, I don't think there will be much foliage in the highlands that late. You may find color between Danby and West Rutland. Your best bet might be the Lower Champlain Valley between Brandon and Vergennes. I had some luck ther on Oct 16th last year.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:49 am

Thanks PWT. I'll just hope for the best as far as foliage and enjoy the excursions. I'll use your suggestions esp. in the Danby and Brandon areas, some of my favorites.

pwt54

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:59 am

My only chance to ride down there will be this Sunday because I start my Florida trip the Next sunday. I hope there is a little color down there.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:29 pm

PWT: we'll miss you on this forum that's for sure! I've decided the best way to get some foliage in for my visitors so late in the season, and I'll need advice on this, is to leave CT and go up the Mohawk Trail to North Adams and over to Bennington. Do the hot spots in Bennington, eat at Blue Benn Diner and then take 9 east to Wilmington to our B&B. (If the foliage is waning, I'll follow some of your suggested routes the next day.) Would the North Adams route be better than going up 91 to Brattleboro and taking 9 west to Wilmington? The lookout in the middle of route 9 on the way from Brattleboro to Wilmington may be well past peak. I'm just waivering between routes and which might present better later colors......Keeping my fingers crossed for a long foliage season! Thanks!

pwt54

Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:38 pm

I don't know, That Mohawk Trail is a nice ride. I guess al I acan say si to what the foliage, if it looks decent as you approach the Mohawk Trail, then take that.

ixl

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:27 pm

Get to take some more Californians to Vermont on Oct. 20 and 21. We are staying in Wilmington. What do you think we will encounter as far as foliage this late in the game? I've never gone to VT this late but guests not arriving until 10/19. I've packed the schedule with many diversions as far as towns and some lower loops but they are inquiring about foliage. Is the western spine on range near Bennington a good bet on color this late? Any suggestions are most welcome.

Here are my thoughts, based on my knowledge of the area and how this year is going.

First, you will be too late for the Greens and probably the Wilmington area as well. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's well past peak for the higher areas.

You may do alright in two nearby places: the CT river valley (Brattleboro area) and the Bennington area. I just looked at some of my shots from 2003 and I have some images with nice foliage from Oct 17, 2003. In 2004, however, a shot on Oct 13, 2004 has decent foliage but looks like things were running later. I'd say you will be able to see at least something in these areas, though.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:51 am

ixl: thanks for this note. I've warned them about the foliage but I feel better knowing that at least our first 1/2 day in Old Bennington might be somewhat salvaged color-wise. Hopefully, they will be satisfied with memories of visiting some of the favorite towns I've previously listed, covered bridges, farms and stockpiling on Vermont gifts and products! We are doing the Adams Family Farm night-time tractor ride through the woods to the bonfire to listen to tales of New England ghost stories as well hitting some great diner spots and restaurants. Hopefully, this will fill the foliage void! I'll take them back next year for better foliage. Thanks again for the heads up! I'll look at some of your shots........... Why is this blissful season so short!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(