southern vt - this weekend worth it??

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

bk222

southern vt - this weekend worth it??

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:18 pm

hi all, i may have the opportunity to head out to southern vt this weekend (wilmington area) to see the foliage - but do you think it's still too early? not sure if it will be worth it this weekend, but you guys seem to be the experts on this subject! any insights are appreciated :)

Pentaxguy

Yes, too early for Southern Vermont but not Northern Vermont

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:28 pm

Unless you're heading to very high elevations (top of Mount Snow for instance) you won't find much bright color. Occasional trees could show oranges or reds, but the overall scene won't. See other posts about the Northeast Kingdom where the colors are starting to really show. This weekend might be perfect for Darling Hill Road in the Lyndonville area, or even the incredibly picturesque little town of Peacham. And it's really not that far away, if you head up north on I-91 or I-89 to Montpelier and beyond.

dfpvt

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:54 pm

The color is improving fairly quickly at elevations above 2000' in southern VT and a trip to Wilmington may be worthwhile this weekend (9/27-28) even if not at peak. I was surprised at the increase in color in the Stratton/Jamaica region of Route 30 between Saturday and Sunday last weekend.

pwt54

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:10 pm

Route 100 always turns quicker than the surrounding area. Head north on route 100. The farther north you go the better it gets. It's worth it if you can't do it later.

ixl

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:38 am

As someone who used to live right in that area... I will have to respectfully disagree with some of the preceding comments.

Most people don't realize that altitude matters a lot more than latitude when it comes to foliage. The higher elevations of southern Vermont actually peak at around the same time as the Northeast Kingdom. Route 9 is the highest elevation highway (of any meaningful length) in the state.

I was last up in that area on September 5th and even then there was quite a bit of color. In a normal year, which this is so far, this weekend would actually be near peak in the greater Wilmington area. Even here in Bennington there's lots of color now.

Be sure to drive Route 9, Kelly Stand Road, Somerset Road to the reservoir, visit Molly Stark State Park and drive Route 100 up and around to Stratton.

Here's a quickie shot at Somerset Reservoir, taken September 27, 2004. (This is sunset light which enhances the colors, but there's lots there either way.)

Image[/img]
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!