Kamcanagus Highway

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Kamcanagus Highway

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:25 pm

Just got back from my trip to the White Mountains. Things are looking good for the weekend. I took route 15 east through Hardwick to the Cabot Road into Cabot. Route 15 looks good as did the Cabot area. I took the Danville Hill Road to route US 2. This road is not the most colorful, but the panoramic view from the top of the hill is worth the trip. There was early color on all of the hillsides I could see from there. At route US 2 I turned left and drove 1/2 the way up the hill and turned right onto the Mack's Mountain Road and headed for Peacham. A lot of color next to the road and in the lowlands, but the color is early on the hillsides. The same for Peacham plus the village trees are showing bright color. Next weekend should be real nice. It's nice right now. I took the Peacham Road south to route US 302 where it ends as the Minard Hill Road at the east end of Groton Village. I turned left and took route US 302 east to the P&H Truck Stop for a light lunch and a piece of maple cream pie. Wow, that pie is rich. I then headed acroos the river to Woodsville NH and then to route 112. I drove route 112, the Kancamagus Highway to the Bear Notch Road. Wow. Lots of bright reds. Good color on the hillsides. Get there ASAP ! As I started down the east side the winds started up. And they were strong. I couldn't tell how good the colors were the rest of the day. I changed my plans. I did drive up through Crawford Notch,but at the top of the hill and across from the Appalachian Clubhouse, I took the Clinton Mountain Road. It ends at the Base Staion Road. I drove acroos the Base Station Rd to the Jefferson Notch Road. When this road ended I turned right to get to Route US 2 and turn left to take route US 2 back to Vermont. I won't dwell on these 2 roads because they don't have many maples on them. It's mostly a birch and beech forest. I can't give you a report on route US 2 because the wind was flipping the leaves over. I was real happy with the foliage right up to the top of the Kancamagus Highway, but the wind ruined the rest of the trip.