"Are we there yet" Vermont visit, Oct 6th thru the 9t

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

mattcamp

"Are we there yet" Vermont visit, Oct 6th thru the 9t

Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:02 pm

My wife and I will be visiting New England for the first time, specifically for the fall foliage. After spending the weekend in Boston, we plan on driving up through New Hampshire and over to Woodstock during Sunday (10/6) afternoon. I have enjoyed reading the forum since last year's foliage report. A lot of good information to take in. What I am curious about is, if by chance we encounter some periodic rainy days, how does that effect the experience (i.e., colors, drive time, small road conditions, traffic). Fortunately we chose to visit Woodstock at the begining of the week, thus hopefully avoiding some of the weekend crowds and traffic. Any advice about what to avoid or watch out for when enjoying the short driving tours in and around Central Vermont, if and when the weather is less than perfect. Of course we are praying for sunshine and seeing all that we can take in. But, sitting in front of a fireplace on a cold rainy day, especially in the Vermont countryside doesn't sound bad either. Thank you in advance for any information

Kingatic

Re: "Are we there yet" Vermont visit, Oct 6th thru the 9t

Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:58 pm

I've got a place 15 mins. from Woodsstock. From what I haave heard you will be on time for the peak, I am coming for the next weekend, 10- 14th. Should be good.
M. Kirby

pwt54

Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:52 pm

Colors are looking good in the Northeast right now and should be in that area by the time you get there. Don't let cloudy weather put you off. Bright leaves show up better with a dark background than a bright background. Generally on a bright sunny day you should head west in the morning and east in the afternoon or just head north and south. The way the sun hits the leaves makes a difference. On a cloudy day the leaves seem to shine. A good ride near Woodstock would be route 12 north to Montpelier. From there go to Barre and pick up route 14 SOUTH. In East Brookfield take route 65 east to the Floating Bridge in Brookfield. Come back and finish route 14 south to route 110 north. Take route 110 north to Chelsea and then take route 132 east to I-91 in Thetford. Then head back to Woodstock. You may also want to do route 100 north.

Aleksh

Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:19 pm

That is probably the best time to come up. However that is by extension the busiest time. There are plenty of rainy day activities, such antiquing, visiting any of 3 dozen or soo excellent museums (Billings, American Precision, VINS, Grafton Nature, Saint-Gaudens, etc.) Things to avoid are speeding in the towns (especially Woodstock), expectation that Vermont nature is operated on any Disneyesque schedule. For a more "Vermont" ttry stay9ing at a small country inn rather than a motel. Innkeepers are generally very good sources for local information and the better ones will have proprietary driving tour directions with things you won't find in any "tourist" brochure. We provide our guests with directions that take them to the "backwoods" sides of Vermont towns and to places that they would not otberwise find. Grandpa Gould's wonderful Farm equipment Museum is an example. You wont find it on the net, but its worht a few hours visit with a "Real Vermonter" curator.<P>------------------<BR>Aleks & Michiko Hunter<BR>Old Town Farm Inn <BR>665 Vt. Rte 10<BR>Chester, Vt. 05143<BR>1-888-232-1089<BR>"Its not our Green Mountain state, its our Greem Mountain State of Mind" SM
Aleks & Michiko Hunter<BR>Old Town Farm Inn <BR>665 Vt. Rte 10<BR>Chester, Vt. 05143<BR> <A HREF="http://www.otfi.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.otfi.com</A> <BR>1-888-232-1089<BR>"Its not our Green Mountain state, its our Green Mountain State of Mind" SM