Name your favorite photography spot

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

Name your favorite photography spot

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:42 pm

I was thinking that maybe it would be helpful to visitors if us "old timers" named our favorite photography locations. I am sure they have changed over the years because of changes in the topography. So what are your favorite places?

Here are a couple of mine

The CP Rail Track up by Norton
Green River south and East of Brattleboro
The Arlington Covered Bridge (you have to climb up a steep embankment to get the shot!)
Jenne Farm south of Woodstock

Wayne Wrights

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:40 pm

I second the Arlington Covered Bridge, great shot from the hill
The Green River Covered Bridge area also
Moss Glen Falls I

Wayne Wrights

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:59 pm

I may be premature in assuming that I am an "old timer". I am planning on my 16th trip to the beautiful state of Vermont for the "foliage explosion", the first two weeks of October. I am 60 years old, and if I don't qualify as a "old timer", I apologize to the members of this forum. Thanks :D :D :D :D

pwt54

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:18 am

I guess I don't have one special spot. I like the back roads in the Barnet,Peacham, and Groton area. The Creek Road between Craftsbury and Irasburg shows some promise, but with westerly views it would be best to do it in the morning. The County Road between Montpelier and Woodbury is a good ride with a variety of scenes. The area east of the County Road has a lot of small, criss-crossing roads that can be confusing, but the views and colors are great. If you plan to do this area stop at the welcome center on 134 State Street and ask for a map.

wentworth

Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:43 pm

Hi everyone--new member here--looking forward to another Fall in Vermont--Saw that the colder weather is on ts way--Next wednesday supposed to drop to 41 degrees in Killington--but I believe the temps have to drop to the 30's to get the color going--is that true?

Kerry Gough

FAVORITE PICTURE TAKING SPOTS

Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:00 pm

My favorite photo spots are:

The Jenne Farm (early in the morning), about six miles or so south of Woodstock. Be there when the sun is coming up and stay there a while.

The "overlook" area on Roxburyt Gap Road going up the hill from East Warren Road, near Waitsfield and Warren.

Various scenes on Cloudland Road, a left turn off of River Road just outside of Woodstock past Billings Farm. For other good scenses, follow Cloudland until you reach the end of the road and turn right. When you come to a fork in the road, bear left and then turn right onto a paved road. Where that road intersects with a main highway, you will see a Grandma Moses type scene.

Like PWT, scenes along just about most of the roads in the Peacham, South Peacham, East Peacham, Barnet Center and Barnet areaa.

Andy

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:40 am

Abby: I am obviously not bm and I am sure he'll give you better directions, and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I was looking at Harvey's mountain as I looked back down the road where I photographed "Hillside Acres" Farm. I came in from Peacham, but it looks like you could go from Barton either on R5 all the way, or jump over to the E-way (91) and get there. From 5, if you go West on a road (my Delorme map says so, anyway <g>) called "Joe's Brook" Road about 1/2 mile, you'll come to Barnett Center Road. Follow it South and you will go right through Barnett Center (you might not even realize it <g>). In about 1.5 miles, you'll cross Little France Road -- keep going on Barnett Center Road. Its about 2 3/4 miles from Route 5. If you go 3 miles, you will hit West Barnett Road (which means Barnett Center is now behind you and back up the hill). There is a little church in Barnett Center, but that's about it. Coming from that direction, you'll come down a fairly steep hill and Hillside Acres will be down the bank on your left. Hard to miss. I believe Harvey's Mountain is straight ahead (to the South West). Is that right, bm? On my map, Harvey's Mountain is about 2 miles (as the proverbial crow flies) South West of West Barnett, and there is a small pond (Harvey Lake) in front of it (to the North East). I didn't see the lake from Barnett Center, and am now sorry I didn't have time to explore it better. Next time I am in the area, I certainly will. bm, are there any photo ops which would include the lake in the foreground that you know of?

While you are in Barnett Center, time permitting, you might as well trek on to Peacham. Its not far

From the intersection of Barnett Center Road and West Barnett Road at the bottom of the hill, turn right (northwest). There are a couple of tricky intersections (they were for me, anyway -- but then my wife says that without a map, I am "directionally challenged" <g>). About 1.4 miles to the northwest, there is a cross road which goes straight and to the right (north) and also, to the Southwest (there is a little "v" road there, too). You want to go left (which is continuing on W Barnett Road. I don't know, but there may also be a sign for the Village of W. Barnett, pointing that way, too. Its another 1.4 miles to W. Barnett. In W. Barnett, W. Barnett Road is also "Main Street." You want to follow it to the left (I believe it becomes West Main Street and to the north--you don't want to go there--it is Stevenson Road. To the South, Ironically, it is Harvey's Mountain Road), continuing South West for about 1/4 mile. You will come to Peacham Road. Turn right (West) and follow Peacham road for about 1.5 miles. You will come to a "four corners." Peacham Road (or Peacham/Groton Road --follow it south to Groton) actually changes from E/W to N/S here. You want to turn Right (North -- it is also denominated Main Street here). Its just over a mile to the Village of Peacham. Worth the drive. The Peacham Groton Road, and some of the back roads have spectacular views and in some cases, openings with vistas to the East. The Village of Peacham will take you "back in time."

If you turn left on Church Street (South West again) and go probably .1 or .2 miles, you will see the cemetary on the left and the Fire Station on the right (which is the parking lot you go through to get the Shot of the Village that I have posted on the photo forum. Lots of nice views. Worth the trip. I could easily spend days in the Peacham/Barnet area!

If you are up for some more driving, Take the Mack Mountain Road (maybe out of your way, as it is further West) back to the North West to Route 2 (pwt suggested this road to me last year and it was worth the drive). Parts of it are gravel, but it is good road and you'll have no trouble on it with any vehicle. It comes onto 2 near East Cabot and you take 2 back to 91.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:44 am

For those who don't already know, Tim graciously set up a "Vermont Photography Forum" in the Scenes of Vermont Forums. It would be nice if some of these photo spots and directions could be cross-referenced there. Also, you can find some narrative there of specific locations. I have to admit my posts seem to have dominated there (not the intention) and I hope this season, others will post there, with other places, ideas, and "points of view."
Andy

KAA

Favorite Photo spots

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:17 am

Those looking for photos of vermont back roads may wish to try North Bridgewater Rd. just north of Woodstock on Route 12. It connects with Route 4 in Bridgewater however, your better off taking a right onto Gold Coast Road and taking that into Route 4 in Bridgewater.

Once on Route 4 you can head a little west to Bridwater Cetner Road and follow it to other back roads like Daily Hollow Road and Bridgewater Hill Road. These roads will take you through Ragged Hill & Raymond Hill and some nice views of Killington. These roads eventually lead you back down to route 4 inbetween Rt. 100 & Rt 100A.

The woods on either side of Kent Pond (just north of Route 4 and east of Rt.100, across from the Killington Access Road) offer good foliage photography. East side in the morning and west side in the afternoon.

pwt54

Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:49 pm

Frost will hasten foliage change, but the amount of daylight is a big factor. We have early color in scattered locations. Andy's directions are good. I'd take I-91 south to exit 18 and turn right at the end of the ramp. You will be on the West Barnet Road. There is a good view of Hillacres Farm from the Garland Hill Road. Look for the Gifillian Road off the West Barnet Rd. Drive that to the Cloud Brook Road. Take the Cloud Brook to the Garland Hill Road and turn right for the view. The Garland Hill Road ends in West Barnet. It's a nice ride. I like doing the Cloudland Road in Pomfret to the Old King's Highway and then the Joe Ranger Road. When the Joe Ranger Road ends, you can turn right to get to Quechee or turn left to get to route 14 in West Hartland. There is a great "farm photo-op" on Cloudland. I like it better than the Jenne Farm when they have the 2 bright red Farmall Tractors out.

admin
Site Admin

Favorite photo spots

Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:09 pm

What time of day for Cloudland?

Kerry Gough

Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:14 pm

I am sure PWT will answer you but thought I would give you my time of day on Cloudland Road.

I have about always traveled Cloudland Road at mid-morning. The road is quite shady but the sun seems to shine perfectly on the hills and valleys of the farms along Cloudland. They are probably the same farms PWT referenced.

Beautiful drive!

Kerry

pwt54

Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:00 pm

I've only driven this road in mid afternoon because I'm too lazy to get up that early. The photo of that farm looks like a morning shot and it looks great.

Andy

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:31 pm

I find it hard to name "a" favorite spot. There are so many. I just posted on the Photography Forum, another location that I really fell in love with: Groton State Forest. There are at least to good photos there -- Ricker Pond and Owls Head. Owl's Head required a short, but steep hike up a rocky mountain path. Reasonably centrally located and easy to get to.
Andy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Groton State Forest

Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:55 am

Andy: thanks for bringing this great spot back to the forum! It is quite worthy of mention. We traveled through here on our way home from another Vermont trip and it was gorgeous. I wish I had made more time for this area because we didn't have time to go to Owl's Head either. We hit the area when the day was coming to a close and the sunlight hitting the trees brought out such brilliancy! Lots of ooo's and ahhhh's!